Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,346   Online: 774

Shooter
    35mm

Leica M tripod socket

Would you trust hanging the camera from the tripod socket with a standard 50mm f2.0 lens? Some straps that interest me use this system, but I'm wondering if the base plate is strong enough...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a tripod socket...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe. Could be an expensive lesson if not. If the camera mfg did not make a accessory to do this, I would have some doubt.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a wrist strap that attaches to the tripod socket on my cameras (non-Leicas). I prefer a wrist strap over a shoulder strap. It seems as strong of a connection as the strap lugs. However, I use it as a safety against accidentally dropping the camera, I don't let it hang from the strap normally. If I do need both my hands free, I'll either put the camera back in its shoulder bag, or if I do let it hang from my wrist, I'll stop walking so it doesn't swing around. and only let it hang briefly.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tripod sockets are designed for compression, straps cause the opposite. The fixings of the tripod socket are only there to keep it in place, they are not designed to take any forces. They may well be capable of taking the weight of the camera + lens, but that weight is a much greater force than they are designed for.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks. Well although this is a different design/baseplate I read about some horror stories regarding the baseplate failing on an M9 (or M8...) while mounted on a tripod. It is clear that Leica doesn't design their cameras for heavy tripod use and since accidents do happen, I think it is best to not rely on the baseplate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica M's are perfectly able to be used on a tripod. But mounting it on a tripod is not the same as dangling it from a strap by the tripod socket, it doesn't have the same inertial forces acting on it, it doesn't have the same twisting forces acting on it.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used Leica M series cameras on tripods for decades with no problems from their tripod socket. The baseplate was damaged on a Leica M2 when a tripod collapsed on a car top platform, and the camera landed upside down on the ground. That was certainly no fault of Leica's fine design.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Guys

If you are using a film M (not CL or M5) on a tripod it is best to buy a camera cradle which will keep the centre of gravity (CoG) over the tripod fastener, they are still available in camera fairs, if you are using a heavy lens it will have a tripod tap of its own to keep the CoG over the tripod fastener. The cradles have not been made for decades but still turn up, they have two taps for vertical and horizontal.

The base plate is ok for a wrist strap until you need to change a film when the base plate is secure but the body, lens, cassette and spool all need to be juggled, you take hat off lay it on ground in front of you...

The wrist straps that attach to the neck strap lugs secure the two valuable items while changing film, but you do need to inspect the lugs cause the original ones are chromed brass and will disappear once the chrome wears through, they are also prone to falling out, Ive a nice damaged M3... Some replacements are CRES.

Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin