Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,375   Online: 982

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bet your Fed-2B will work fine and be fun to use the J-9 on. I've recently discovered J-9s, and they're as good as the 50mm J-3, very nice rendering. What I find interesting is the rising prices of Soviet Barnack style cameras, and falling for Leicas. The other day I searched for early Fed 1s and came up with several that had sold for over $150. Some over $200. The average was about $100. Then I searched for completed Leica IIIcs from the post-war period. Their average price (bodies only) was about $200.

The same is happening with the Jupiter lenses, which now go for about 75% of what a Canon, Zeiss, or Nikon Sonnar type go for.

Ten years ago when Leicas were $400 and up for a Barnack body, the $29 Feds and Zorki's were a good buy and substitute. Now that they are within $50-100 dollars of each other, I'd say go for a Leica or Canon at some point. Actually, the Canon IVSBs and Niccas and other Japanese clones go for MORE than the average IIIc now...

Shooter
    Large Format
    So /p/ really is good for something... :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    make sure you actually check the focus before you take serious shots with it

a jupiter 9 that's been calibrated for non russian rangefinder cameras will focus improperly on a fed. at 85mm and f2 that could become a huge problem.

shimming it to match your fed is pretty simple work though.

the prices of old leica screwmounts seems to fluctuate every few years, but recently i think that the appearance of all the new digital m's like the m9, m, m monochrome, etc.. have been pushing down barnack prices and pushing up leica lens prices

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Free Jupiter 9 85/2!!! Which RF?

Great to hear you got a FED-2!
    Zenit SLR lenses will mount but won't focus correctly at all. All Leica thread mount (LTM) lenses will work, except for pre-war FEDs.
    I've had no major trouble with mine, knock on wood. My first one had a bad light leak around the film gates, which I was able to fix easily by bending the metal back into shape, and on both of mine I've used thin strips of electrical tape to keep the diopter controls from wandering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I bet your Fed-2B will work fine and be fun to use the J-9 on. I've recently discovered J-9s, and they're as good as the 50mm J-3, very nice rendering. What I find interesting is the rising prices of Soviet Barnack style cameras, and falling for Leicas. The other day I searched for early Fed 1s and came up with several that had sold for over $150. Some over $200. The average was about $100. Then I searched for completed Leica IIIcs from the post-war period. Their average price (bodies only) was about $200.

The same is happening with the Jupiter lenses, which now go for about 75% of what a Canon, Zeiss, or Nikon Sonnar type go for.

Ten years ago when Leicas were $400 and up for a Barnack body, the $29 Feds and Zorki's were a good buy and substitute. Now that they are within $50-100 dollars of each other, I'd say go for a Leica or Canon at some point. Actually, the Canon IVSBs and Niccas and other Japanese clones go for MORE than the average IIIc now...
    It's funny you mention that. I was just shopping around for a Fed or Zorki, and I was amazed at how high the prices get. I started looking for a Zorki because I read they were cheap and relatively plentiful; and while they're still in my price range more than a Leica III or a Canon, it's just amazing how the market fluctuates.

The question is: why? Is it because of some resurgence of film photography, interest in Soviet history, or just some quirk of the global economic condition?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pekelnik View Post
    So /p/ really is good for something... :P
    shhhh

rules 1 and 2 are in effect

Test shots! Max resolution for IQ check.

50 2.8 Industar 26p 1/250 @ f11

50 2.8 Industar 26p 1/50 @ 2.8

Jupiter-9 85/2 @ f2 1/500th

Jupiter 9 1/250 @ f8

Jupiter 9 1/500 @ f2
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin