Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,443   Online: 860

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wide lens recommendation

Hey there. I want to get myself a travel friendly camera, and i guess the choice fell on a rangefinder, probably a Zorki.
    I want to get a wide angle lens, 30mm-ish, preferably a bit fast but most importantly; affordable. What should i look for?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you thought about an Olympus SLR? The body of an OM-1 is similar in size to a Leica M rangefinder but much more reasonably priced and with a great range of wide-angle lenses. The 35mm f2.8 or 28mm f2.8 Zuikos are terrific performers and very compact too. You can easily carry an OM with either of these lenses in a coat pocket. The viewfinders are large and bright too. Just a thought for a rangefinder alternative.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the OM-20 for a few years now, and i've found them to be juuust a tad bit too big for my pockets. I have a trip 35 too, but 40 is just not wide enough, and i have a variety of rangefinders, which made me a bit bloodthirsty. None of them have interchangable optics though, and none are wide enough.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XA is quite pocket friendly. Could that be an alternative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the LC-A which is quite similar, but i like manual modes and interchangable optics, and i would like to try out a good rangefinder. Should i take it that wide angle lenses are a bit expensive?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wide lens recommendation

28mm rf lenses can be pricey. Also you have to think about how you will compose and shoot. Many won't have nice built in magnification/ frame lines for 28mm and something like the zorki would need an external finder. Not a big deal if you are used to the focal length you can wing it guesstimating. CV ltm lenses seem to have good reviews and price/performance so that can be a starting off point for research. The older canon ltm 28s are very nice and compact as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The most cost effective LTM options are Cosina manufactured

CV 28mm f/3.5
    CV 35mm f/2.5

Both are very small the 35mm exists in two form/factors pancake and classic, you may prefer one over the other, dependeing on hand size.
    Unfortunately the 28mm are lower volume and difficult to find. Their are optuonal hoods as well.

Noel
    P.S. if you like even cheaper there is the J12 in LTM, again compact, but poor ergonimics.
    Last edited by Xmas; 02-04-2013 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: apellun and PS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just discovered the J12, seems like a good price, is it worth it? I can't find any CV lenses on eBay, is this shorthand for something? I found the Canon 35 f/2 also, is that a good buy? This particular listing tells me the aperture blades are oily and has marks on them, but i think im going to shoot wide open always.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Jupiter is referred as for being a good performer, always remembering the main rule in soviet optics is "buy what you can give back if unsatisfied", 'cause it happens to find a badly assembled / kept one...
    But remember, its protruding back wont let you use it on Bessas and most other cameras but the usual Zorkis and Feds...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    I just discovered the J12, seems like a good price, is it worth it? I can't find any CV lenses on eBay, is this shorthand for something? I found the Canon 35 f/2 also, is that a good buy? This particular listing tells me the aperture blades are oily and has marks on them, but i think im going to shoot wide open always.
    CV is Cosina Voighlander
    http://cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm
    they are multi coated with lerge hoods tolerant of back light situations, high refractive index glasz good off axis performance.

J12 are single coated and can do iris images with sun in or just outside frame

The Canon LTM f/235mm is excellent lens but in ex condition is x1.5 times the $ of a CV, the oil on blades is not critical in a rfdr camera, they tend to gall and stick otherwise. It is single coated and can flare without a hood. It is a small lens for a f/2, but larger then the CV 35mm.

Some people prefer the SC lenses for the adaptive compression they provide pastel plastic colours, fill in shadows in mono. Subjective thing.

Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin