Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1108

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to use modern filters and Hods on old lenses: A36/Summitar to E39

I'm interested in 3 Leica lenses on a Leica Ltm:
    -50mm f3.5 Elmar
    -35mm f3.5 Summaron
    -50mm f2.0 Summitar

However, I am unsure on how to approach the filter/hood situation. I would like to use modern filters and a hood (preferably one that is low-profile). Viewfinder blockage may or may not be important because I might use an external viewfinder (definitely for 35mm but maybe not for the 50mm).

A36 lenses:
    I see that i can use a SOOGZ and those are supposedly not too expensive.
    For the hood:
    -Will summicron hoods block the viewfinder? I believe I will be able to take 'cron hoods with the correct adapter.
    -Alternatively, would this hood work? http://www.heavystar.com/servlet/the...rd-39mm/Detail for something that is lower profile.
    -Will I be able to change the aperture settings? I read that this is an issue with the Elmar but I am unsure on the Summaron. I'd probably shoot aperture-priority so this wouldn't be that big of a deal (I do not think).

Summitar:
    I see that the SNHOO is expensive but SK Grimes and DAG can make replicas; else, there is heavystar. Another alternative is to make my own filters from old Summitar filters..
    For the hood:
    -If I go with the SNHOO (or replica), then can I use the barn door hood? I read that it really needs this silly-looking hood.
    -Does the barn door hood stay intact as well as the other Leica hoods? I have the hoods for the Summaron/Summicron for my M3 and they stay put. I believe the barn door hood folds so I'm not sure how "rigid" it is.
    -If I do not want to deal with the hood then do the heavystar wide hood work? (The same one listed above).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Going with vintage accessories especially Leica is not going to be cheap. I went the other route and just found adapters to make my smaller odd filter sized range finder lenses fit 52mm filters. Though not pretty, they work, and wouldnt be that much bigger in diameter than with a hood on, and with a 52mm vented hood its not too bad at all. And it saves me the cost of buying more filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this also possible with A36/Summitar lenses? I do not have these lenses but I believe the first two have no threads and the Summitar is a different pitch and hence the frustration? I use step-up for my other vintage lenses, like Canon/Nikon LTM but these lenses leave me puzzled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A quick google led me to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Adapter-...item2ec51a42b0

its $15 for a36-e39 adapter as an aftermarket piece. It should work fine. For the other two lenses you can try and find a solution such as with a push on filter adapter. Also I am not affiliated with that ebay listing, its just the cheapest one I saw first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The genuine barn door Summitar hood can sell quite reasonably on the auction site. < 25.00 and it works great. Sturdily built. obviously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what you want for a Summitar, the Heavystar 39mm adpater, hood, and cap kit,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Metal-...item53f393c4e1

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    A quick google led me to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Adapter-...item2ec51a42b0

its $15 for a36-e39 adapter as an aftermarket piece. It should work fine. For the other two lenses you can try and find a solution such as with a push on filter adapter. Also I am not affiliated with that ebay listing, its just the cheapest one I saw first.
    Thanks! Well this is actully Summitar-E39. I have not seen any A36 - E39 adapters. I just want to explore my options, maybe I would pursue different lenses or just go naked if I insist on those particular ones. Not sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format

How to use modern filters and Hods on old lenses: A36/Summitar to E39

You can take a look at canon 50mm ltm lenses. The 50 1.8 is compact and has lots of great reviews and has a built in filter ring. If you want collapsible the 50 3.5 from canon is also nice and has a filter ring as well. Both lenses are quite common and affordable too. I have used both in the past before and they are good performers. I think the easiest And cheapest option is to use a series 6 adapter and get the drop in filters tons are out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a good lens. It is about the same as an early Summicron in terms of quality. It takes 40mm filters, and while you can get a UV easily, the coloured filters are sometimes difficult to find. One thing I especially like about the Canon lens is that it has a wide focusing ring (as well as a focus lock/tab) which I find better for faster focusing.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin