Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,963   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Leica Kit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the 2.8cm summaron (if that is what it is)should be a really fun lens to use. lots of character and quite expensive and scarce, with a hood maybe worth what all the rest combined? You might alert them as to cleaning the glass, be very careful the coatings/glass is very soft.
    another good place to get CLAs done is Gus Lazzari @ TLC camera repair.

Shooter
    35mm
    Greg, I do believe that the 2.8cm lens was a summaron... Good to know. I'm sure that my friend won't try to touch the glass on his own.

I told him to make a list based on the info on the front of the lenses so he'll know exactly what he has.

I'll keep you posted if I find out more. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

Stone:

Leica rangefinders have had two mounts: Leica screw mount (called LTM), which was used on the Leica I, II, and the various permutations of III like in this thread. It looks just like the later "Pentax" M42 screw mount, just smaller. FEDs and Zorkis are imitators of this era of Leicas.

The second mount, started in the 1950s, is the M mount, which is bayonet. Newer M lenses have had electronics added to them, but the mount is the same. You can also use LTM lenses just fine on an M camera, with an adapter.

As for your second question, you can tell a real rangefinder (as opposed to viewfinder cameras) from the patch in the middle of the viewfinder image. Aligning this patch with the rest of your view focuses the image. Simple viewfinder cameras will have framelines to help you compose, and they may even adjust for parallax, but no patch.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Stone:

Leica rangefinders have had two mounts: Leica screw mount (called LTM), which was used on the Leica I, II, and the various permutations of III like in this thread. It looks just like the later "Pentax" M42 screw mount, just smaller. FEDs and Zorkis are imitators of this era of Leicas.

The second mount, started in the 1950s, is the M mount, which is bayonet. Newer M lenses have had electronics added to them, but the mount is the same. You can also use LTM lenses just fine on an M camera, with an adapter.

As for your second question, you can tell a real rangefinder (as opposed to viewfinder cameras) from the patch in the middle of the viewfinder image. Aligning this patch with the rest of your view focuses the image. Simple viewfinder cameras will have framelines to help you compose, and they may even adjust for parallax, but no patch.
    Thanks for the Leica info.

As far as the RF bit, I know how to tell a viewfinder from a RF I meant how is it differentiated in writing ... Like is it called a "Parallax RF" or a "coupled RF" or what? thanks.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    the 2.8cm maybe worth what all the rest combined? You might alert them as to cleaning the glass, be very careful the coatings/glass is very soft.
    A 28mm /5.6 is a collector if in nice condition worth more than the rest of the kit. Put it behind i.e. in a glass case

Dont think about cleaning the glass, whatever any one else says, dont clean the glass.

Dont bother with a CLA, some old cameras work ok without one, trim a commercial cassette film to the leader in the user hand book and follow the handbook instructions, dont use a credit card or visiting card or remove the lens, the user manual does not say not to be silly billy, it says how to do it. The proper leader should work every time, all leaders were correct from 1935 to 1970, then they changes cause no one was using Leicas any more, cept me.

The shutter ribbon may snap or the blinds may leak light in which case you need maintenance, otherwise Leicas can go on for ever...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I thought Leica's even old ones went for much more? Like $1,500 for the body and $1,000 per lens? Am I wrong?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. Look at the recent for sale ads here for a Leica IIIa and one or two other bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

Stone:

They're differentiated by not calling a viewfinder camera an RF, because they're not. An RF has a rangefinder mechanism; a viewfinder camera doesn't!

I should clarify that parallax is something else entirely from an RF patch. Parallax refers to the inaccuracy of the viewfinder at close distances, in just the same way that the views of your two eyes differ. So a camera with parallax correction actually moves the framelines around a little as you change the focus, or have a slightly indented second frameline. This is not to be confused with an RF patch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the 85mm says Leitz on it then it should be a Summarex, but they were f/1.5, not f/4, so something is amiss.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I thought Leica's even old ones went for much more? Like $1,500 for the body and $1,000 per lens? Am I wrong?

~Stone
    I just picked a very nice user IIIf red dial fully CLA'd and with a re-silvered rf patch for $300 and just sold my very nice user IIIa for $195.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I just picked a very nice user IIIf red dial fully CLA'd and with a re-silvered rf patch for $300 and just sold my very nice user IIIa for $195.
    Wow cheap

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin