Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,999   Online: 810

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Leica Kit

Shooter
    35mm

Old Leica Kit

Hello friends,

Tonight, I witnessed one amazing Leica kit that has been in my friend's family for decades. He's really not a photographer, but wants to see if he can use the equipment, minimally at least.

I do apologize for not being able to remember all the details. I'm posting this list from memory and can't think of the various descriptor names.

He has:

Leica iii f/g (I'm not really sure which, but both manuals were present.)

28mm f/5.6
    35mm f/3.5
    50mm f/2
    85mm f/4
    135mm f/4

All lenses were of the same vintage as the camera body and each lens had the silver-colored finish.

He also had various view finder attachments and other items.

So, the question is: How how difficult would this kit be to use, practically?

To whom would you send something like this for CLA?

And, how much might the whole kit be worth?

I'm not a Leica expert, but it was a beautiful sight and I did tell him that he had something that was very valuable.

What do you think?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Chances are the 85mm f4 is not Leica.... Or maybe it's all Russian dressed up to look like Leica. If the camera body screws look rough and the focus following arm is a curved wedge, then you have FED or a Zorki

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've heard Youxin Ye recommended highly. I'm planning on sending him my IIIc for CLA and a new mirror for the RF.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it wouldn't be hard to use at all -- loading screw mount leicas takes a bit of practice -- 5 minutes -- and you have to know how to trim the film leader so the tongue us about 4 inches long -- 10 seconds with scissors -- but other than that it's pretty normal -- if you have the manuals, match the camera to the manual and read it all the way through. practice loading with a roll of film and go take pictures.

value depends on condition -- a IIIf in good user condition is around $400 and maybe more if it has a self-timer, a IIIG is about $800. The lenses you list depend on maker and condition -- hazing and so forth, but in good usable condition several hundred dollars each, easy, probably more.

quite a nice kit. so, in good user condition, not mint, not badly worn, a coupla thousand dollars for the whole mess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I carry the older IIIc with me and shoot it several times a week. The IIIf is newer, from the 1950s. I'll toss out a value of $1,800 on the bunch, depends on if the lenses are really Leica or not, and condition. The camera isn't hard to use, it just takes a good attentiion span. Loading the film is a medium pain in the butt, but otherwise it is fun to use. You need to read up on how to use one first.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    35mm
    HI-

If you have never shot a rangefinder before it takes some getting used to but the results are worth it. I have used DAG and Golden Touch for overhauls, both do excellent work.

Dan H in Ohio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

I thought Leica's even old ones went for much more? Like $1,500 for the body and $1,000 per lens? Am I wrong?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I thought Leica's even old ones went for much more? Like $1,500 for the body and $1,000 per lens? Am I wrong?

~Stone
    you are wrong. It varies greatly depending on condition and model -- a good quality user M3 is around $700 or so, as is an M2, these are for cameras that would rate an exc-minus or BGN from KEH. An M4 is a bit more. The older screw mount leicas are less because they are older technology and not considered as usable-- the viewfinder is smaller, the separate rangefinder and lack of frame lines are a pain, whereas an M3 and an M7 are pretty much identical, usability-wise -- so screw mount leicas cost less. The IIIg is the exception because it is short production and has technological advances -- bright frames, integrated rangefinder -- that make it more usable from the modern shooter's point of view.

but a user IIIF -- $300 to $400. In really cherry condition a IIIf-red dial, self timer, is around $800 on a good day.

mint condition M2 or M3 -- and i mean, really mint, no scratches and leica collectors go over them with a magnifying glass -- command the sort of prices you mentioned.

lenses--ditto.

Sherry at golden touch hates doing screw mount leicas, DAG is backed up until who knows when. I had an excellent job on mine done by Essex in new jersey.

charlie trentelman
    Last edited by summicron1; 02-08-2013 at 01:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old Leica Kit

Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    you are wrong. It varies greatly depending on condition and model -- a good quality user M3 is around $700 or so, as is an M2, these are for cameras that would rate an exc-minus or BGN from KEH. An M4 is a bit more. The older screw mount leicas are less because they are older technology and not considered as usable-- the viewfinder is smaller, the separate rangefinder and lack of frame lines are a pain, whereas an M3 and an M7 are pretty much identical, usability-wise -- so screw mount leicas cost less. The IIIg is the exception because it is short production and has technological advances -- bright frames, integrated rangefinder -- that make it more usable from the modern shooter's point of view.

but a user IIIF -- $300 to $400. In really cherry condition a IIIf-red dial, self timer, is around $800 on a good day.

mint condition M2 or M3 -- and i mean, really mint, no scratches and leica collectors go over them with a magnifying glass -- command the sort of prices you mentioned.

lenses--ditto.

Sherry at golden touch hates doing screw mount leicas, DAG is backed up until who knows when. I had an excellent job on mine done by Essex in new jersey.

charlie trentelman
    Oh I see, I always thought all the Leica mounts were the same. So all the M mounts are same?

Cool good info, I'll probably never own one, (because I tend not to spend more than $200 on film cameras (with the exception of my Mamiya 7) so I doubt I'll ever own one.

Is there a way to indicate a Rangefinder that just has frame lines from a rangefinder that actually finds the range? As in, my Zeiss Ikon Contina Matic II has a viewfinder with frame lines but you have to eyeball distance, where my Mamiya 7 has a finder with parallax measurement.

Is there an indicator for this? If I ever got a Leica I would want one with a parallax measurement thing.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my requests. I'll try to respond as I can.

First, I may have been mistaken as to the numbers on the 85mm lens. I was posting from memory. I am sure, though that the lenses were all Leica brand lenses.

Second, I remember seeing bright frame lines when looking through the viewfinder, so that would indicate a IIIG, no? The separate rangefinder viewing window did make the experience a little slower than what I imagine is the experience of most M mount users.

Third, there was a self-timer built into the unit, though I did not try to activate it. I don't remember what color the dial was.

I will say this, the whole kit is pretty clean for being 60 years old. I did not see any fungus in the lenses and all of the old bulky plastic containers were intact.

In any case, it sounds like my friend has a nice usable setup which, after a good CLA, would be quite usable with some practice. I regret that the kit is not worth as much as he had hoped, but value is not always a monetary measurement. I also regret that I did not try to run any film through the body.

Thanks again for all the information!

- RWR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin