Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,513   Online: 794

Shooter
    35mm

clip on or bayonet hood for Contax Sonnar

Does this sound doable without costing $100+?

OK so I love how Leica hoods are clip-on. I'm not sure if EVERY hood is like this but it is on my Summaron and Summicron. I also like how Rollei hoods on my Flex are bayonet. After being spoiled by these lenses, I don't like using screw-on hoods because they are slower to add/remove. Clip on / bayonet hoods are worth it, in my opinion.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a clip on / bayonet hood on my contax sonnar (40.5mm). Anyone know of any alternatives? I'm willing to step up if it is possible. Any alternatives?

I've also thought about asking SK grimes to grind me one if it isn't terribly too expensive, I know some people have done some things similar with other lenses. I'd absolutely love to use the 12585 if it is possible.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Partly screw in a 40.5 UV filter leave a gap for the Leica hood clips to purchase/locate.
    Then dab nail varnish in to the gap (that the clips are going to be in,) three dabs off at 120 degrees separation, or use biue tack.
    Do not apply nail varnish using other techniques, like dont apply to threads...

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I assume you're referring to the 50mm Sonnar and not the 85mm or 135mm Sonnars.

Zeiss Ikon used to produce push-on hoods for the 50mm Sonnar. I believe it should be A42 -- a push-on hood of 42mm, which is the outside diameter of the Sonnar.

However, these hoods can be a bit tricky for those Sonnars that have the aperture ring right up against the front nose of the lens, because there often is just a fraction of an inch for the push-on hood.

I would just bite the bullet and buy a screw-in hood. Heavystar, an eBay seller, used to offer three different hoods in the 40.5 mm thread. There was a wide, which works well with the 35mm; a solid hood, which I use with telephoto lenses but also is fine for the 50mm Sonnar; and a vented hood, which I use with nearly all of my Sonnars. These are all-metal hoods, very well made and inexpensive.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin