Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 797

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The glass in some of the Canon lenses will fog and then etch if you don't service I.e. clean it.
    You don't need to use a Canon lens a Nikon or Cosina lens will do just as well.
    The Cosina & Canon 5cm lenses are comparable with the Olympic Nikkor but easier to get.
    If you have an LTM lens it can be used on lots of cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll chime in here... I have had Bessa, Leica CL, M3, Epson RD-1, and Canon P and l-3
    .... Epson Rd-1 finder was dandy.... but like the Bessa always getting knocked out of alignment. ... I got used to taking the "shoe" off and adjusting.
    The Leica CL shutter dragged a lot when cold. My M3 infuriates me with slow re-wind and loading.
    The canons I really like A LOT! they are easy to load and see through and I am not afraid of damaging them, because I can get another for under $200.
    Nikon Rangefinder... never touched one, they look nice except for that goofy lens mount that looks fragile,
    (it looks like getting tangled on a coat sleeve, or door jamb knock would take the lens off the camra)
    and limited lens selections compared to the LTM stuff.
    In the end I like carrying a rangefinder around, but enjoy using an SLR much more for the kind of work I do.

I vote for the Canon P to use... the Nikon S2 to pose....
    Also "gandy" and I can back up those Canon shutters are pretty trouble free. Stay away from even looking at a Leica CL... it's seductive... but troublesome.
    ... and I agree with the age of these cameras camera to camera rangefinder issues/aging will be significant.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 11-27-2013 at 08:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summerbee View Post
    really??? that's not what i could see as i looked around. and a Bessa was built in the '90...
    The material and build quality in the older cameras is much better than the later ones. However, overall condition on any used camera has to be considered.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somewhat off topic, but as I have owned both the P and 7S and Leica IIIG, and used M 2 and 4s, but not a Nikon, I would consider a
    7S or 7Z with working light meter. I liked the feel of the IIIG better than the 7S, but the 7S was for me just more functional, think M4 with screw mount lens. I had the standard Canon SM lens the 28mm, 35, 100 and 135 with a few other odd lens such as a Minlota 85mm. Perhaps not up to Leica standards, but good performers as well, and any Leica SM lens will work on a 7S.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sounds like some "hard luck Harrys" out there! But then maybe I am only lucky, but the three "P"'s I purchaced on the web ALL have good patches. All are from a widely different part of the Canon P production runs. All work well with no issues. A rarely used working meter is kepted cased as if a meter is needed I reach for the Bessa R. All are an "easy"load but sometimes I like to slow things down and thats when I reach for the Canon III or my Canon IIF-the "PX camera" as the Dechert book discribes it. Having a bottom loader or two is, I think, a fun way to make a "walking" tour more "thoughtful". I use the Canon, Leica, Nikon, Minolta, and the less expencive Juipter lenses in LTM. Like them all.
    Last edited by Red Robin; 11-28-2013 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Nikon rangefinders are very durable and built solidly. I wouldn't worry about them not holding up. In fact, I think they're heavier than they need to be. The Nikon rangefinder is part Leica LTM and part Zeiss Ikon Contax.

Like a Leica, the original S uses a cloth focal-plane shutter and has a shutter speed dial that spins when the shutter is released. Not ideal when using gloves, because the dial can drag on your gloved hand, slowing the shutter. Like a Contax, it uses the same mount and similar appearance. The focusing system is more Leica than Contax, although it has just a single viewfinder for viewing and focusing (like a Contax).

The early Canons borrowed heavily from the Leica LTM in their design and operation. They're fine cameras to use and not too expensive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin