Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,569   Online: 836

Shooter
    Medium Format

Konica III Intermittent Shutter Sticking

I picked up a nice Konica III but it takes some shutter actuations (typically 5-6) before the shutter will operate properly. This usually happens again after changing the shutter speed. The shutter blades will either not open, open slowly and stay open, or open and not completely close. Is there a way to get to the shutter blades and flush out dried out lubricant, which appears to be the problem?

When the shutter is operating properly, the shutter speeds sound right and the self-timer operates smoothly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This camera should be serviced. Plain and simple.

The Konica III is an excellent camera and the last in the trio of rangefinders from the 1950s. There are several variations of the Konica III.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I sent the camera to Greg Weber. It turns out the shutter had to be repaired (2 broken blades and pins). The camera has been restored and is beautiful. The lens deserves its reputation for sharpness and contrast. It was well worth the $200 repair cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24_RingwoodStatePark061613.jpg   01_RingwoodStatePark061613.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mklw1954 View Post
    I picked up a nice Konica III but it takes some shutter actuations (typically 5-6) before the shutter will operate properly. This usually happens again after changing the shutter speed. The shutter blades will either not open, open slowly and stay open, or open and not completely close. Is there a way to get to the shutter blades and flush out dried out lubricant, which appears to be the problem?

When the shutter is operating properly, the shutter speeds sound right and the self-timer operates smoothly.
    Hi,
    This is an old thread, I know. But I had the same problem. I picked up a nice Konica III rangefinder camera. It's a beauty from 1956. Somewhat heavy (I like that), strange but nice film transport (two stroke) and a very nice rangefinder.

It's in new condition, except for the shutter. you described it perfectly: the shutter was sticky or something and was moving very, very slow. So I took it to the Hasselblad repair man in Holland for a good CLA. He ultra-sonically (is that a word?) cleaned the shutter and also cleaned every blade of the diaphragm by hand.
    Now it operates perfectly and I'm gonna shoot my first film with it as soon as we'll have some decent weather overhere.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	konica-iii-ad.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	96547
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm glad you were fortunate that the shutter only needed to be cleaned. Mine had to be rebuilt as 2 blades and two pins were broken.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What can happen is that lubricant can dry and harden, especially if the camera sits unused for decades. It "glues" everything in place.

When the next unsuspecting person tries to tension the shutter, it either breaks the old lubricant or it breaks some part in the shutter. It sounds like it broke parts in the shutter.

This doesn't happen with all cameras. It's just one of many things that can happen to a camera that is idle for a long period of time (years).

The Konica III is a mighty camera - in terms of weight and performance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, it's possible that I caused the shutter damage as I used it under the assumption that it might just need to be exercised to work properly. Anyway, the repair was well worth it as it is a wonderful camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin