Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 707

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Improving Focusing of FED 1g with Leica parts

I have an FED 1g 1954. One of the latest of Leica Copy Generation First. I used original Leicas and

-FED focusing time is longer and more difficult especially at dim light.

-at FED focusing visor , moving image is at the same color with the elapsed image. At Zeiss or Leica , moving image is fluorescent orange.

-dim light focusing is headache , you have to find 3 nearest object to try your luck in short time.

I know colored glass screen can be movable but after 60 years , its rock solid. How can I move the screen thread inside the camera body thread . I dont want to contaminate the internal parts or space with a chemical and I dont want to harm the chrome and the leather. What is the best way ?

- Can I use early Leica circular colored glass with metal thread , focusing thingy on FED 1g ? Are they compatible ?

- What is the Leica class name of the colored circular thingy with thread , who sells them and what is the average price ?

I am talking about portholes.

Thank you,
    Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 02-25-2013 at 03:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    many Leica threads are very tight and can only be loosened by special friction grip clamps which have exactly the correct diameter and even with this you have to use a lot of force. If you use a pair of tongs, you'll damage the surface. I thing this also so with the little round window of the range finder. Normally there was no colour glas installed, but you could mount it later. Perhaps you can try to glue a piece of a transparent coloured plastic film in front of the window, perhaps a little piece of a multigrade filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for the yellow plastic film as this has no risk to damage your camera and it is fully reversible.
    I did it before to one of my cameras and this gave a slight improvement.
    Good luck Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    jochen , Antonis ,

Thank you , really bright idea !
    Antonis , I replied to your pm.
    I contacted with DAG also , they sell clear glass ones.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post

I contacted with DAG also , they sell clear glass ones.
    To remove the outer bezel on early Leicas, and clone rangefinder widows, a piece of hard rubber is best, mine is recycled from bottom of a metal chair leg. You push down hard and turn.
    Some of the optic glasses are peened in, (i.e. the metal is flowed over edge) and difficult to remove (or replace) cleaning the optics carefully is normally sufficient, take care with front surfaced partial mirrors
    Simpler getting a Fed 1g in good condition...

Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin