Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,285   Online: 1122

Shooter
    35mm RF

Canonet GIII GL1.7 Issues with shutter or something

This is hard explain my issues/problems with my Canonet. I have had work done on it but the camera repair man but it is still having issues.
    When I purchased the camera last year it had been restored.
    Here is the issue: I pick the camera up and everything works just fine. And then it is shelved for a week or so. I pick it up and advance the film and the shutter release buttons does nothing. It is not locked but allows me to press without anything happening. I was told the electoral parts have been replaced when it was worked on recently. Sometimes when you open the back of the camera everything resets but it is intermediate.

It seemed to work fine at the shop. I think the shutter is sticking What do you guys think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it happening when on A mode only? If so, it could be the exposure lock locking you out until it gets the right amount of light hitting the meter
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, as Andrew suggests, make sure you're not out of exposure range in in auto (the needle should point to a f-stop value). Then try it in manual mode to see if the shutter works. If it works in manual mode, check your battery and battery contacts. If you're using a zinc air battery, they will degrade over time even if not used; though probably not in a week. If you don't have a cap on the lens, your meter is on and the battery is being discharged.

If the problem is power to the meter for auto exposure, and the battery and contacts are ok, then it may be a bad electrical connection inside the camera. This would be consistent with an intermittent problem. Opening the back should not have any impact. It could be coincidence . But it may be that it the process of opening and closing restores (temporarily) the connection.

Also, if your repair person simply "loosened" the crud in the shutter with lighter fluid or something similar, the shutter can work for a while and then stick again. But that would effect both auto and manual modes.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shutter in manual is fully mechanical. If the shutter isn't firing in manual, the aperture or aperture housing have some oil residue.
    As mgb74 suggests it's from improper cleaning.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Sometimes when you open the back of the camera everything resets but it is intermediate."

Could be an issue in film advance mechanism, if you followed the steps listed above by the other board responses. Opening the back resets the frame counter and you have to wind the film and snap the shutter until you get to #1 position. There could be an issue where someone forced the wind on lever in the past and a tooth is messed up on the gear system???

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for all the replies - The camera has a new battery and it does not work in manual or Auto mode. Same issue in both modes. It may be the film Mechanism as suggested above. I will suggest this to the camera repair man. Great idea. Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin