Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,493   Online: 914

Shooter
    35mm

Kiev 4AM light seal

I've got a Kiev 4AM which appears to have a light leak where the back and the case connect. If any of you have replaced this seal, what did you use? I have read that yak hair was the material used but yaks are in short supply where I live. What would be an acceptable substitute?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I would have thought the adhesive backed foam strip used by most manufacturers would work perfectly

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There was not so many yaks in The Soviet Union to. It was made of some kind fabric. Foam strip will work, but previously Jon Goodman’s seal repair kit used to have that kind of fabric too. You better e-mail him directly. jon.goodman@yahoo.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

It is also possible for a Kiev (or Contax II) to leak light from the viewfinder volume down through the gap between the shutter crate and the main chassis (just above the sprocket shaft,) unto film inspect the negatives carefully before blaming the yack hair, a Contax II does not have (or need) yak hair...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Hi

It is also possible for a Kiev (or Contax II) to leak light from the viewfinder volume down through the gap between the shutter crate and the main chassis (just above the sprocket shaft,) unto film inspect the negatives carefully before blaming the yack hair, a Contax II does not have (or need) yak hair...

Noel
    O lawd don't I know this.
    I have a Kiev with this issue and the telltale leak usually shows up as a funnelish shape emanating from the bottom of the frame after development (top of film when in camera). This can start from outside the frame and show sprockets.

I tried 4 times to no avail to solve this issue and finally gave up and got a Contax II.

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    the telltale leak usually shows up as a funnelish shape emanating from the bottom of the frame after development (top of film when in camera) .
    Yup - that is a light leak through teh ranegfinder window and down through the crate.

My Kiev IIa had the same issue, but I fixed it with some backing paper between teh top plate and the crate.

All good now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Lift top plate and cut a bit of mouse mat foam to fill the gap (do not glue it in)

Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin