Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,633   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leica M2 or M3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Err -- how about a Minolta CLE? Aperture priority autoexposure, and full manual control. It has the 40mm lines for your 40mm lens. Nice viewfinder, very clear RF patch. I have a CLE, M2 and M3 -- OK, the Minolta isn't a Leica per se, but it is smaller, easier to carry, has the framelines you want, and fits your budget.
    Very enticing. I don't know why I hadn't considered it - maybe the battery dependency. A CL on the other hand needs a battery for the meter only (as far as I can tell).

I would prefer using the 40mm lens above all others. I have a Voigtlander-M 40mm - I think it fits/works on either the CL or CLE - I need to research it a little more attentively.

Thanks to all those who have replied so far with advice - I have a few more months to mull things over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Buy both and send one to me :P

That's the line I use as a response to other posters!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post

That's the line I use as a response to other posters!
    If you want to us a 40mm the early M frame for 35 mm is so small that it is serviceable for 40mm.
    The M6 frame is closer to 35mm think the change was between M5 and M6.
    To use this you need to nail file the lens mount as it comes out of the box as a 5cm lens for frame selection.
    And the M needs to not have been retrofitted with a late finder.
    I used an elastic band to hold the selector lever over, between the strap lug and lever had several in gbag, I preferred to keep the lens original but lots of people buy a CL kit and sell the body
    Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bah Humbug!!! I use a CV Nokton 40 mm f 1.4 on my M3 95% of the time. Works beautifully.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    only you can decide -- if your preferred lens is the 35, you should go for the M2 because the M3 viewfinder adapted 35mm lenses are very good, I use and love one, but it does darken the viewfinder.

If your preferred lens is the 50, get the m3, but it will also work perfectly well on the m2.

If your preferred lens is the 40, you have made an excellent compromise. Find a good condition CL, away you go. It is my favorite travel camera.

Whatever you get, you will not regret it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought I had decided on the CL/CLE but now I am having second thoughts on the CLE because of the battery requirement.
    It's become harder to make the final decision than I thought (mostly because I'm so anal about things)
    My e-Bay watch list is now quite long... I am also looking at KEH's listings - I have had very good experiences buying from them.

There is an M2 in APUG's classifieds that looks good and comes with a 35mm but I am not ready to purchase just yet (hint: tax refund has not arrived).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Bah Humbug!!! I use a CV Nokton 40 mm f 1.4 on my M3 95% of the time. Works beautifully.
    On what camera do you use it and how do you compose for it (camera viewfinder or separate viewfinder mounted on the camera?)

I have that lens also and as stated 40mm is my favorite "normal". I would love to be able to use it on an M2 without the shoe-mounted viewfinder.
    Last edited by Renato Tonelli; 03-15-2013 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Buy the First of the two that you get a good deal on, then buy the other when it comes along: both have their place, are a joy to use and you won't lose money when you sell, if you sell. Bought mine in 98( M3) it's as much of a joy to use as it has ever been. Notice I wrote "joy to use" 3 times.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    Buy the First of the two that you get a good deal on, then buy the other when it comes along: both have their place, are a joy to use and you won't lose money when you sell, if you sell. Bought mine in 98( M3) it's as much of a joy to use as it has ever been. Notice I wrote "joy to use" 3 times.

David
    That might well be what will end up happening - the prolem is, I almost never sell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    For 50mm shooting, no other Leica rangefinder even approaches the large, clear, uncluttered M3 finder with the full and proper framelines. If you don't specifically want a 35mm frameline, I wouldn't even consider the M2 over the M3. If you've never tried and M3 finder, you are in for a real treat
    I've never seen a better finder than an M2. You say the M3 is better than that? (I never saw through one so I don't know what I'm missing)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin