Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,983   Online: 1096

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Leica curse and I dodged a call to the police...

I almost called the police today about a disappearing M3 kit.... more on that in a moment.

I am using a Leica (again). A CL made one of my favorite images ever, but also broke my heart, with its troublesome shutter. So I walked away from equipment from Germany.

I rescued a long dorment M3 and it just returned from the "mechanic" last week.
    I have been enjoying it and reacquainting myself with a rangefinder (have used a Canon P, Bessa, and Rd-1 in the past).

Anyway I have been transporting it in a brown box along with the 35mm, and 90mm and a couple Russian 50s.

Leaving the office I couldn't find the box anywhere! I looked long, went back home searched the house and car, and returned to the studio!

Did I leave the studio door unlocked on my bank run today? Did I leave it on the roof of the car? I sat down and contemplated the inevitable; the police and the need for a report. Furthermore I had no idea when or how "it" took a walk, and why was the D800 on the desk and Hasslblad on the copy stand left behind. Was it a discerning thief?

The M3 in a box with lenses was packaged and ready to be had.

After retracing my steps four or more times I decide to dial the number... stopped before the last digit, and looked around again, and there is the box! On the floor, beside a posing chair in a shadow cast by a ladder. I think there is a benevolent ghost messing with me.

Anyway I do wonder if these covetable objects are cursed. Stupid story... cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    vpwphoto

i have had similar problems
    things disappear, and reappear
    almost like i'm oblivious ..

i am glad you found your gear ...
    or that IT found you.
    i'm interested to see if
    any frames on the roll
    are from its disappearance

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica curse and I dodged a call to the police...

You walked away from equipment from Germany based on one shutter problem with one camera?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    You walked away from equipment from Germany based on one shutter problem with one camera?
    and that equipment has "made in Japan" written on it??????

Dude. No wonder. The equipment that really is from Germany is mad and messing with your head. I suggest you take that M3 out right now and very sincerely apologize.

Also get a bag with a strap. A box? Just not done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Obviously your Leica equipment made in Germany has a kobold associated with it.The kobold is a sprite stemming from Germanic mythology and surviving into modern times in German folklore. Although usually invisible, a kobold can materialise in many forms. The most common depictions of kobolds show them as humanlike figures the size of small children. Kobolds who live in human homes wear the clothing of peasants. Most commonly, the creatures are house spirits of ambivalent nature; while they sometimes perform domestic chores, they play malicious tricks if insulted or neglected. One of their favorite tricks is to make things disappear and then reappear to torment people.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post

Dude. No wonder. The equipment that really is from Germany is mad and messing with your head. I suggest you take that M3 out right now and very sincerely apologize.

That's right the CL has more features and cost less the only thing the M3 had to show is that it last much longer.

Shooter
    35mm
    And remember, you made one of your favorite images ever, not the Leica.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post

I knew someone would catch me on it. CL and Japan)
    I finally figured out what bag to carry it in.
    I have Hasselblad kit, 35mm DSLR kit, and 5x7 Kit in bags along with lighting kits that go everywhere with me.
    --Similar event with my cordless drill and a pipe crimp tool that is still MIA.
    All better now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like to hear a story that ends well.

I once left my M6 with the 35/1.4 ASPH on the driver's seat of my car, car unlocked and parked on a busy street, for more than a hour. As I walked back to the car, I was resigned for the inevitable - I was even consoling myself by thinking "at least they didn't have to break the window". The camera was still there and, if I remember correctly, i apologized for leaving it vulnerable to common thievery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have had similar problems
    things disappear, and reappear
    almost like i'm oblivious ..
    If you work on a building site you will often spend a good amount of your time looking for tools - even those you were using a few minutes ago.

And every pencil you bring with you will get lost.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin