Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,570   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Unusual 1950's Canon RF camera -- what model can this be?

I've come across a swing-back Canon RF camera that I cannot identify (despite owning an L1, P and 7S myself). It seems to be a Canon VT that is missing the trigger wind on the bottom of the camera. I've never seen a pop-up knob film advance on this kind of camera unless it had a trigger base, which this one does not. And note that it has the pop-up rewind knob only seen on the earliest of the swing-back Canon RFs.

Peter Dechert makes the point in his book that Canon seemed to occasionally use up parts from previous camera when starting a new camera model, so I suppose it is possible that Canon had some VT parts but no more triggers, so just installed a plain baseplate. I can only think this must be considered a rare variant.

Any thoughts from APUG Canon RF experts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unknown Canon.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kodak did the same with its Retina cameras. Use some parts from the previous model or parts from the new models on its predecessor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what model it is but I do like it.

Jeff

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Is it possible that someone took the trigger wind off at some point, instead of at the factory? Does not the VI-T share the trigger winder?

As a side note, my VT has that "early" rewind knob but I was under the impression all VTs had the pop up knob, and the VIT went to the folding knob style rewind.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The serial number allows identification of the type... if you have a crib sheet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very interesting. It may be as Fixcinater said, somebody removed the trigger from an Vt and substituted a baseplate from an L1. Or maybe somebody had an VL2 and removed the film advance lever and substituted a knob wind.

You should post this over at RFF. Many Canon rangefinder aficionados over there, including Peter Kitchingman, Stephen Gandy as well as Peter Dechert. Maybe they can offer something.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you taken the base plate off to see if the wind coupling/rails to guide the trigger transport are still in place?

If it is then I would suggest someone removed the trigger mechanis because the ribbon was broken. The top looks original VT, and you couldn't remove a lever wind and replace it with a know, as the know turns in a dirrerent direction to the lever..

I used to repair cameras at Canon, and have collected them on and off for years. I think this is one that was broken and had a new base plate put on to it...
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually - thinking about it some more the camera could be a VL with the wind lever removed. THe knob rewind means the camera is earlier than a VT or most of the L series..

Does the wind knob lock up (in other words is there a button on the back of the camera you can push to pull the wind knob up?)
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Andrew: I'd been considering the possibility that someone had replaced a wind lever with the pop-up knob, but the top plate has the correct little button on the rear to allow the knob to come up.

I've not pulled the bottom plate, in part because I don't own the camera! Yet! I suppose it could be a VT with a new bottom plate. Too bad Canon didn't keep better records on production and serial numbers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The VL2 (the economy model of the VL series) had a pop-up rewind knob. The VL had a rewind crank. As mentioned before, the camera could be a VL2 with the film advance lever removed.

You really won't know what it is until you can take off the bottom plate and look at its innards. My guess is that some independent repair tech modified the camera many years ago.

Jim B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin