Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,115   Online: 885

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I agree completely. Technical quality is easy, I like to be certain it's there for when I capture the other kind.
    Well, it's really nice to have both of course, but I've seen more than a few pictures weak on the technical side that were still powerful images. Even that Leica saint Bresson produced a lot of stuff of lesser technical quality. But we see his photographs (and those of others) through the goggles of history and their fame and our nostalgia. I wish my photographs were good enough that they could be crap at the same time...

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree, content/composition is way more important than image quality. Some of my favourite pictures are ones taken with disposables or similar. Nostalgia also, is a powerful thing, I reckon it is a large factor of why so many of us still use film myself included.

David - Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I find it interesting that you mention Japan. When they first started producing and shipping cars out of their domestic market, not many people bought them. The few that did, soon found that rather than being rusty buckets of flimsy metal, they were actually really well engineered, reliable and comparatively well priced. More and more started to realise, and Japan quickly became the fastest growing automotive industry in the world.

The same thing is happening in Korea, just look at the quality of a modern Kia or Hyundai these days, especially when compared to the stuff they made ten years ago. They have caught up to everyone else and are releasing on par. The same thing will happen with China. They are currently making things on par with the early 80s domestic cars from japan, using borrowed or copied hardware. but just see how quickly they evolve into being leaders.

Pedro

Shooter
    35mm
    FotoFunDreissig: you did not hijack 'my' thread. In fact, more 'thread' keeps the garment from tearing.

But the 'facts' surrounding the perception of Japan are amazing. When I was little, Pearl Harbor was the 'reason' not to trust the (as they were pejoratively called) 'Japs'. I think that we have gone very far since then. In the mid-70s when I was living in New York I briefly worked at Marubeni Corporation and the most stupid thing that I ever did in my entire life was to leave them. (I think that my inability to mature when it was necessary to mature was my whole later problem in life.)

Their whole attitude towards people and employees was absolutely amazing to behold and there was not a single day I worked for them (in the then Pan Am building atop Grand Central Terminal) when I was not treated with dignity. I do hate the Japanese whale hunting but I love how I was treated by them. The problem with the USA is that we think that we are the 'standard' of everything under the sun. We cannot be: we do not even know how to embrace other cultures (unlike how the British always did in their Colonial history). - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoFunfDreissig View Post
    I agree, content/composition is way more important than image quality. Some of my favourite pictures are ones taken with disposables or similar. Nostalgia also, is a powerful thing, I reckon it is a large factor of why so many of us still use film myself included.
    David - Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I find it interesting that you mention Japan. When they first started producing and shipping cars out of their domestic market, not many people bought them. The few that did, soon found that rather than being rusty buckets of flimsy metal, they were actually really well engineered, reliable and comparatively well priced. More and more started to realise, and Japan quickly became the fastest growing automotive industry in the world.

The same thing is happening in Korea, just look at the quality of a modern Kia or Hyundai these days, especially when compared to the stuff they made ten years ago. They have caught up to everyone else and are releasing on par. The same thing will happen with China. They are currently making things on par with the early 80s domestic cars from japan, using borrowed or copied hardware. but just see how quickly they evolve into being leaders.

Pedro
    It's not just nostalgia. About 2 or three years ago, I looked into what it would cost to replace my late 60s/early 70s Nikon gear with digital capable of delivering comparable quality - two bodies, six lenses, darkroom stuff, all costing in the neighborhood of $1000. The digital replacement - including a top grade printer and a computer capable of running the latest PS, all the software etc. came out to costing as much as a medium price car. To add medium format, another car. For my 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, there is no digital replacement available at any price. So for me, film not only does things digital cannot do, it does it with comparable-to- hugely-better quality at 1/30 the price of the 35mm equivalent.

There's also the learning curve, I've used PS enough to know it is not and never will be a joy for me to use, unlike darkroom work. And digital does not result in a hand-crafted product (such as a mounted contact print from an 8x10 negative).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Well, it's really nice to have both of course, but I've seen more than a few pictures weak on the technical side that were still powerful images. Even that Leica saint Bresson produced a lot of stuff of lesser technical quality. But we see his photographs (and those of others) through the goggles of history and their fame and our nostalgia. I wish my photographs were good enough that they could be crap at the same time...

s-a
    The technical quality is the easy part. Buy a good camera, read and follow the instructions.
    Once you've become comfortable with the gear, you are free to work on your vision. It really is that simple.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The technical quality is the easy part. Buy a good camera, read and follow the instructions.
    Once you've become comfortable with the gear, you are free to work on your vision. It really is that simple.
    I know what you're saying; I meant more like I wish my images were so fabulous that their technical quality would be considered relatively irrelevant. (Ideally by those paying me large sums to own them.) I've seen this in action.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I know what you're saying; I meant more like I wish my images were so fabulous that their technical quality would be considered relatively irrelevant. (Ideally by those paying me large sums to own them.) I've seen this in action.

s-a
    Oh yes, I got that part.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think we all wish we took photos like david la chapelle or whoever you guys might aspire to like.

David - I have been lucky to spend quite a lot of time in Japan, and I must say, their attitude towards other people is amazing.
    Everywhere you go people want to help you. especially if like me you are tall and blonde. lol
    Seriously though, they are generally captivated by westerners, and as long as you are polite you will be guaranteed a great time anywhere you go. The food IMO is the best there is, and man is it ever one place you need definitely take a camera. Everything there looks cool.
    If i had the chance I would live there for sure. Being that I live in Western Australia, where you average night out results in one of your friends being attacked, I can easily deal with some occasional business shake downs by yakuza, if it means I get to experience their legendary hospitality.

E van Hoegh - totally, I can understand not only the cost involved with digital putting you off, also how Photoshop does not allow much enjoyment.
    I dont use photoshop personally but even Lightroom is just a relatively soul-less method of altering processing. I have only recently started with digital and haven't really give a whole lot of time into post processing. I am only really doing such at all because I am working on a blog to showcase efforts of myself and friends. Really I like the organic feel of developing, washing, drying photos and physical manifestation of your work as a result, and as you know, you can always scan the images afterwards. Couldn't Agree more.

Pedro
    Last edited by FotoFunfDreissig; 05-24-2013 at 06:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    What does Mr. Sarac think of the Japanese-made Contax G Zeiss lenses?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Does it matter? he is obviously insane!

Zeiss G lenses are as good as it get in my opinion.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin