Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,593   Online: 869

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't really agree with you David about the quality about the cameras. The lenses yes anyday, but the cameras. The stories I have heard and read about Leica camera problems, and going away from the M to the R, the R8 had lots of problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Laugh if you wish: (hypothetically) I 'have' USD 10,000 to spend frivolously. I buy (1) Leica MP with 50mm lens or (2) 500 Minolta SRTs at a camera show for USD 20 each.

I would laugh, also, all the way to the bank.

And AndreasT: maybe you are correct about the infallibility of the Leica body not being so. Besides, they, also, can drop to the pavement and become instant paperweights. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

sales details for Leica RF

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Laugh if you wish: (hypothetically) I 'have' USD 10,000 to spend frivolously. I buy (1) Leica MP with 50mm lens or (2) 500 Minolta SRTs at a camera show for USD 20 each.

I would laugh, also, all the way to the bank.

And AndreasT: maybe you are correct about the infallibility of the Leica body not being so. Besides, they, also, can drop to the pavement and become instant paperweights. - David Lyga
    Yes. You can buy this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366120684.074271.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	67321

Or this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366120705.041986.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	67322

Both will get you to the corner market. With carelessness both wrap themselves around a tree quite well.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    It is funny how this discussion comes up over and over again.
    Everybody should use what they like not what others like.
    Yes, the funny side is that every Leica talk ends up with some irrational arguments (great photographers used it bla-bla, best craftmanship bla-bla, etc...) from the picture standpoint. It is like Leica owners want to be convinced they did a good choice and need for that a kind of social recongnition from the photo community. Sorry but to me, photography is much bigger than that.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a Leica because I wanted people to say "Is that a Leica?". Further, I plan on buying another sports car and dumping my spouse (and mother of my 2 children) for a 20's something trophy wife!

That's how I roll!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never owned or used a Leica and yet I do believe Leica lenses are very sharp. However, most of the photographs I have seen taken with a Leica including those of famous photographers are not very sharp. Oh yes they are good photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    Leica quality is for those that can appreciate it.
    "...those who can..."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have two Leicas, an M3 and an M2, and OK a LTM Leica III, and I bought them because they are quiet and permit interchangeable lenses. They're not the only cameras that fit that list of criteria (I've also got Contax Canon and Nikon RF cameras), but I feel that they offer a degree of repairability and reliability that other marques cannot match. For example, while I do like and use a Minolta CLE too, it has a shorter RF base and I'm always aware that it's an electronic camera that can develop hard-to-fix glitches as parts age. So all in all, I think the Leicas could be said to present the best available combination of features for an RF camera (which, to my aging eyes, are now simply easier to focus than my SLRs). The alleged cachet etc, well, I've never had anyone remark on my camera when I'm carrying it, so that's hardly an attribute that would cause me to buy them.

David -- when my wife and I were in London in 1979, she too went to Vidal Sassoon for a haircut, came out with an Afro-style cut that resembled that worn by Angela Davis -- and 34 years later I'm still hearing about it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Dinesh, you are funny while being mildly arrogant.

Dali: I like your counter-argument, especially the 'bla-bla-bla' part.

And Trask: (I'll bet that your wife is not even black.) It must have been the era or something. Actually, the late 70s were a very strange time, with Pope John I lasting but three weeks (!) after he disclosed that he was investigating the Institute for Religious Works (Vatican Bank) and NYC becoming almost bankrupt. There was, indeed, a strange transistion between Jimmy Carter (my favorite President of all times) and the ascension of both Thatcher and Reagan (my second worst President after 'W' Bush).

Yes, somehow people were more naive then and perhaps the world was getting ready to embrace the digital age and its 'virtual life' social media. I do not know, but I tried to stay rooted to the ground in my thinking and that meant even occasionally disagreeing with the aging hippies, even though, politically, I embraced them during the Vietnam Era. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 04-16-2013 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Leica M7 is a fine camera, and an extravagance.

A gold Leica M7 is a fine camera, and a ridiculous extravagance, and a status symbol.

An unused Leica M7 is a tragedy.

I wouldn't pay the purchase price for a Leica M7, but I don't object to anyone who does, and uses the camera to make photographs.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin