Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 758

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Or a wannabee white pimp! And, yes, the gold advertises 'rip me off', just like my deceased uncle who finally stopped having to show off his wealth to every comer when someone finally told him, pointedly, that his three daughters could easily be kidnapped.

Old wealth never had to display itself because wealth, to such, was 'normal'. Every week, after school, my father would drive me and my brother to Stamford, CT (from Wolcott, CT) for our piano lessons with Miss Linda Cappabianca. Only one hour and twenty minutes, merely 60 miles away, made all the difference, as Stamford was full of old money that was not in the least ostentatious. I learned the difference, early on in life, between nouveau riche and genuine 'wealth', and the 'wealth' of Fairfield County was a wealth of: manners, proper disposition towards others (regardless of economic status), and total disregard towards any need to demonstrate financial worth. An inerent desire, indeed, need, there to hold onto things other than mere money, was held in high esteem. Children were brought up to respect all, regardless of crass cash; their manners and disposition proved their real bearing and upbringing. There, even if one did not have money, one had civility and self-worth. We became great friends with this family and to my dying day I will be able to tell the difference between the perception of wealth and the real thing.

The desperate need to display money is the first sign of a private, hidden desperation founded upon yet more desperation. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 04-17-2013 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    500 per month when M8 was the latest focus:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwrlb4_tL0

t=3:40

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    500 film cameras per month in 2008.
    100-150 M7 per month in 2009.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=E. von Hoegh;1487601]Only a New Orleans pimp would buy a gold plated camera.[/QUOTE
    A dyslectic one, who bought a warehouse
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You'd be more talented, and more important if you had a Linhof. Like me.

Plus, you'd be able to say "yes, well, my other camera is a Leica".
    The problem is you can't walk around with three Technika V's around your neck, that just looks ridiculous.

Having said that, I am willing to give it a shot if it people think that it makes me look like a more talented (and wealthier) photographer.

And while I agree on the idiocy of a gold plated camera, I will often wear a skin tight gold luge suit with an arca swiss baseball hat in order to blend in with the crowd.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=benjiboy;1487918]
    Only a New Orleans pimp would buy a gold plated camera.[/QUOTE
    A dyslectic one, who bought a warehouse
    That was actually a reference to something George S. Patton said, regarding his ivory handled Smith & Wesson revolver. When someone called it pearl handled, GSP responded "only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl handled revolver".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    The problem is you can't walk around with three Technika V's around your neck, that just looks ridiculous.
    Having said that, I am willing to give it a shot if it people think that it makes me look like a more talented (and wealthier) photographer.

And while I agree on the idiocy of a gold plated camera, I will often wear a skin tight gold luge suit with an arca swiss baseball hat in order to blend in with the crowd.
    Of course not. People who use Linhofs have bearers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=E. von Hoegh;1487947]
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post

That was actually a reference to something George S. Patton said, regarding his ivory handled Smith & Wesson revolver. When someone called it pearl handled, GSP responded "only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl handled revolver".
    I seem to remember vaguely reading that before somewhere, I think his S&W revolvers were some of the first .357 magnums that they ever made, George Patton was one of the richest officers in the U.S Army.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=benjiboy;1487955]
    I seem to remember vaguely reading that before somewhere, I think his S&W revolvers were some of the first .357 magnums that they ever made, George Patton was one of the richest officers in the U.S Army.
    Correct, Elmer Kieth and his cohorts developed that cartridge starting around 1935. Until the introduction of the .357 as a factory item the most powerful production revolver was the 1847 Colt Walker, a cap and ball gun.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am so happy that this is not a 'gun nut' forum. - David Lyga

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin