Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,516   Online: 943

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    In my 63 years what I find most remarkable is the change in attitude towards Japan. When I was about six I went with my father to a 'five and ten cent store' and remarked that the toys looked cheaply built. He responded (and without prejudice!) 'they are probably made in Japan'. Since then, much has changed about just how 'cheaply' Japanese products are. Or are NOT! He is still living and driving in Connecticut and, at almost 91, praises his Suburu.

Whether Mustafa is correct or not about Nikons and Canons fully capable of being able to 'ruin' photos is not up my alley. But I will say this: through the years there HAS been occasional criticism of the utter 'sharpness' of Nikon and Canon lenses and how they, somehow, compromise the 'aesthetic' of the photo. I am not going to lend an opinion here because I feel that I have no right to do so. But I will say this: even if Mustafa seems to be, by some, somewhat wayward in his thinking, I think that there is much to heed in simply listening to his counterargument. He just might have some truth to impart. We do not need absolute concensus here.

In sum, let's not fall into the trap of bringing an 'analogous, latent Pearl Harbor' into the equation when we wish to either laud or denude some entity or country or mindset. Let us use only hard facts, tethered by nothing else, to make our cases. Emotion can be mighty dangerous. Do I make any sense? - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 05-21-2013 at 11:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Here's what annoys me about the Leicaphiles. It's the attitude - that they're somehow special, more knowledgeable than non-Leica users.
    We are special and more knowledgeable than non-Leica users, especially those Linhof weasels!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to buy an ALC MP for my 60th birthday so people will think I'm crazy and, hopefully, leave me alone.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    We are special and more knowledgeable than non-Leica users, especially those Linhof weasels!
    Aha! but I wasn't talking about Leica users. I was talking about Leicaphiles, or as I spell it, "Leicaphools" (those who see things that aren't there). They're related to "Audiophools" (those who hear what is not there), who buy things like "pre-tested fuses" and special wood knobs to go on the volume control pot, for $300.

As for Linhofs, when I use my Linhof I always wear a shirt which says"My other camera is a Deardorff".

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    What are the 5 year online purchase prices for M3,M2,M4,M5,M6, and used MP bodies? Stable or down?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 05-21-2013 at 01:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course, anyone who is serious about image quality isn't fooling with the little bitty pieces of film the Leica takes anyway. I've never been happy with image quality in prints larger than say 10"x15" from 35, and prefer 8"x12" as a max. enlargement. This includes images from the Leicas I had. It's not about sharpness but tonality, after a certain degree of enlargement the smoothness goes away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course, anyone who is serious about image quality isn't fooling with the little bitty pieces of film the Leica takes anyway. I've never been happy with image quality in prints larger than say 10"x15" from 35, and prefer 8"x12" as a max. enlargement. This includes images from the Leicas I had. It's not about sharpness but tonality, after a certain degree of enlargement the smoothness goes away.
    I believe the quality of a print and the quality of its content are two distinct and separate matters. Confusing these clouds a lot of discussions.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Aha! but I wasn't talking about Leica users. I was talking about Leicaphiles, or as I spell it, "Leicaphools" (those who see things that aren't there). They're related to "Audiophools" (those who hear what is not there), who buy things like "pre-tested fuses" and special wood knobs to go on the volume control pot, for $300.

As for Linhofs, when I use my Linhof I always wear a shirt which says"My other camera is a Deardorff".
    A buddy of mine claimed he could hear sounds above 20khz. Yet, I had to repeat nearly everything that I said to him. I guess his hearing didn't extend below 20khz.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoFunfDreissig View Post
    Andreas, it really is the same argument isn't it.

Oneguy, your cameras sound great, I love Yashica and Rollei stuff, especially the TLR box stuff. Just make sure they get good use out of you.
    Thank you, the TLR's have become my favorite cameras but I have never used or owned a camera that I did not like

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I believe the quality of a print and the quality of its content are two distinct and separate matters. Confusing these clouds a lot of discussions.

s-a
    I agree completely. Technical quality is easy, I like to be certain it's there for when I capture the other kind.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin