Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

sales details for Leica RF

Would anyone care (or, indeed, be able to) venture a guess as to how many brand new Leica MP bodies are sold, worldwide, in one day?

With absolutely no right to venture a guess (certainly not an intelligent one), I would probably say about half a dozen, no more. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would guess 2 - a week

And I would be surpries if 1 of the 2 were actually used......
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm sure I've seen this figure, or something very similar, on APUG quite recently. I was thinking it was at least 5 or 10 per day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank is quite remarkable, in that we all basically agree here. I cannot imagine more than six per day being sold, and the manufacture being really an intimate 'craft', each body 'known' to the respective factory worker. At USD 5000+ per body, there even might be some profit. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    naocronym: I think that you just might be correct. One can wax about bokeh or unduly esoteric 'isms' about Leica lenses but, in the end, Japan is not too deficient when it comes down to making an inexpensive 'standard' lens in order to counteract this German threat. What is worth 5000 plus another 5000 for the glass? $10K is a lot of money for just a camera. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Naturally sales will have declined from when it was introduced. But on the other hand I would imagine sales are higher now than they were four or five years ago after a lot of Leica users went over to the M8 then M9. The mild resurgence of interest in film, it becoming a cult in itself, has meant that Leica sales for the MP will have risen again in recent years, along with other new film cameras, such as Holga's and Lomo's. Both high and low ends of the market are served for new film camera's by niche suppliers, so whatever sales there are will be reasonably strong pro rata.

You still have the dedicated amateur buying the MP, perhaps as something he has always promised himself, or just his next camera. Then you have the MP's bought because one has been seen on the shoulder of a Hollywood star, possibly just as a fashion accessory, but I'm sure some are used. And then you have the emerging markets, whether an MP is bought by a Russian oligarch or a Chinese industrialist there is an even bigger trickle down to the new middle classes.

So selling 2 or 3 isn't a very realistic figure for even a 'I hate Leica' person to guess at, but possibly more like wishful thinking. I would have put it in the 50's, or 60's, maybe many more, worldwide, week in week out, not accounting for Christmas. After all, and who'd have thought it, makers of high end, hand made Swiss watches are having their best years ever right now, after those panic stories about markets being flooded with cheap imports and people not needing them because they have a mobile phone.

Don't underestimate Leica because you can't imagine how many MP's they sell, you might do better by imagining the unimaginable and you'd be much closer.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Would anyone care (or, indeed, be able to) venture a guess as to how many brand new Leica MP bodies are sold, worldwide, in one day?

With absolutely no right to venture a guess (certainly not an intelligent one), I would probably say about half a dozen, no more. - David Lyga
    If they only sold six a day Worldwide, they wouldn't still be in business.
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica Camera are just building two new plants. I'm sure not for their film cameras.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Production rate for the M7 in 2009:

5-7.5 cameras a day

Source: Leica Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The MP is a much higher seller than the M7, so call it 12 per day to be on the conservative side. 2009 was when the M9 was introduced, the lowest ebb for film camera sales, so thats 60 they are building and selling per week when things looked bad for film camera production. Pure conjecture of course.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin