Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,323   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped M2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dropped M2

So getting out of my car this morning, my bag was apparently flipped and my M2 dropped out, about two feet and landed flat on its top with an awful thwack which was followed by a primal "aaaauuuugggfuuuckk" from me. My girlfriend is still making fun of me for my dropped camera face/vocalizations.

Fortunately I have gaffers all over it including on the top so there are no marks on it and no dings since it landed flat. However the range finder is now a bit off at infinity and the speeds seem to have screwed up for a bit, 1/60th was doing more like 1/8th and the others were also weird. After running up and down through the speeds a couple of times it seems to be back to normal though.

So, any suggestions as to what I can do about the rangefinder, from what I understand it's a simple matter of adjusting the eccentric wheel on the rangefinder arm? Is this something I should try or just send out? Any idea why the speeds would have gone wonky?

Help welcome. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adjusting the rangefinder on an M, whether vertical or horizontal, is easy. Getting the right tool to do the horizontal adjustment is a little tricky, but if you have something like a butter knife or a small spreader, the rounded end works really well since it lets you angle the tool into the slot on the eccentric wheel. See what you might have lying around the house -- or go to a kitchen shop or gift shop that sells such items.

I realize that properly adjusting the M rangefinder requires checking the near and mid ranges also, but I think if infinity is right on then you should be good to go.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    So getting out of my car this morning, my bag was apparently flipped and my M2 dropped out, about two feet and landed flat on its top with an awful thwack which was followed by a primal "aaaauuuugggfuuuckk" from me. My girlfriend is still making fun of me for my dropped camera face/vocalizations.

Fortunately I have gaffers all over it including on the top so there are no marks on it and no dings since it landed flat. However the range finder is now a bit off at infinity and the speeds seem to have screwed up for a bit, 1/60th was doing more like 1/8th and the others were also weird. After running up and down through the speeds a couple of times it seems to be back to normal though.

So, any suggestions as to what I can do about the rangefinder, from what I understand it's a simple matter of adjusting the eccentric wheel on the rangefinder arm? Is this something I should try or just send out? Any idea why the speeds would have gone wonky?

Help welcome. Thanks!
    Your girlfriend should be more supportive, this is serious bad news. Does she not realise this IS AN M2?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The girlfriend is a line replaceable item. Get a newer model with less mileage.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adjusting the rangefinder is pretty simple, but for god sakes..don't use a butter knife. you use the right size driver, preferably one with an angle. Make a small twist (like a 2mm turn), but the lens on, infinity focus and see if it's right or if you turned it the wrong way. I think you can figure out the rest.

The part that scares me more are your shutter speeds. At 1/8 and slower what happens inside is a vertical engagement of a separate set of gears (I know the way I described it might not be 100% correct, but it doesn't matter). So, what scares me is that that is knocked out of wack and because it's a very precise piece of equipment, I would consider having it inspected. I had a "hick up" with my M6 and then it seemed to go away for a few days, came back, then left...then it broke. Luckily I was able to get the part and fix it myself, but I don't think it would mess around when it comes to shutter speed gears. To replace that part if it breaks is probably more costly than the camera. If it's due for a CLA, I'd send it in and let them know what happened. As they're cleaning it, they will check it out for free and give you some feedback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    awww man, my sympathies.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dropped M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I don't know about that... There have been a few that were pretty pricey. :wink:

Resale on them is really poor as well... :sad:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Boyfriends are also line replaceable.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should have it checked out, Leica M2's do not bounce well. If you must drop an M2, drop a Browning M2, it will survive the drop.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    I don't know about that... There have been a few that were pretty pricey. :wink:
    The more pretty, the more pricey..
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin