Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,200   Online: 957

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got a CLE, and an M2 and M3, and a Rollei 35S -- and I sometimes prefer to carry the CLE because it has a terrific viewfinder, shows SS in the viewfinder, and has off-the-curtain metering. While the Leica is better built and is quieter (a "snic" versus a small "clak"), there are times when having aperture priority right at hand can save a photographic opportunity. And I do find that over time, carrying the lighter Minolta is easier than the M camera. I love my 35S, which is so sharp, but its meter is less capable than the CLE's and of course it is guess focus. I'm a good distance-guesser, but I'm not as good as a rangefinder.

BTW, I had Don Goldberg modify my CLE so I don't have to push release button to move off the Aperture-Priority setting into the fixed shutter speeds - as there's no way to "hold" an exposure in a CLE, the workaround is to note the SS and then use whatever plus/minus SS you want in order to achieve the photographic result you want. OK, the modification can make changing ISO speeds in the SS dial a bit tedious, but I tend to use the same film all day so it's not an issue -- for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    The CL has one huge advantage over the M-series -- being small and black it is less visible
    Every model of M also came in black.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Every model of M also came in black.
    True, but prices of black M3 and M2 are so high that we can say that are non available for shooters , only for rich collectionars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

should I get a Leica CL?

I have an M2, Rollei 35T and 35S, and a CL with the 40/2 Summicron. The CL with the 40 is much more pocketable in my jacket picket than the M2. That I said I much prefer using the M2 as I like its weight and balance better and the overall feeling of the film advance, shutter sound, etc. But if I want a small pocketable camera and decide I need more precise focusing than the Rollei 35 gives me I'll taken CL.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it were me I would get a Bessa that takes M lenses rather than a CL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

should I get a Leica CL?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    If it were me I would get a Bessa that takes M lenses rather than a CL.
    Just curious, why? He's got an M2.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this is a job for a collapsible lens for the M2 rather than a new body.

An M2 with a 2.8 Elmar is size wise on a par with a CL and 40mm Summicron, what one looses in one direction the other makes up for in the other. Weight wise there is about 300gm in it, favouring the CL, but in terms of slipping a camera in your (coat) pocket the M2 and Elmar beats the CL. True the CL has a nice meter, and I love my CL, it is a nice camera to use, but a thin lens for the M2 is far more fun. If not a Leica lens check the hand made MS Optical compact lenses available from Japan Exposures, the 35mm Perar is a superb little Cooke Triplet design.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about something slightly different, but small and with a rangefinder like a Contax T? Or slightly larger, like the Rollei XF35?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I think this is a job for a collapsible lens for the M2 rather than a new body.

An M2 with a 2.8 Elmar is size wise on a par with a CL and 40mm Summicron, what one looses in one direction the other makes up for in the other. Weight wise there is about 300gm in it, favouring the CL, but in terms of slipping a camera in your (coat) pocket the M2 and Elmar beats the CL. True the CL has a nice meter, and I love my CL, it is a nice camera to use, but a thin lens for the M2 is far more fun. If not a Leica lens check the hand made MS Optical compact lenses available from Japan Exposures, the 35mm Perar is a superb little Cooke Triplet design.

Steve
    This is actually very good advice Steve. Now I have elmar 50mm f2.8 M mount and it is much smaller than 50mm summicron, but what is really smal is screw mount elmar 5cm f3.5! It is like you have M body wihout lens. What OP can do is to buy industar 22 for next to nothing and test it, and if it is what he wants - go for elmar. There is also hektor f2.5 that is tiny when colapsed.

EDIT> I have M elmar f3.5, not f2.8
    Last edited by darkosaric; 04-20-2013 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    This is actually very good advice Steve. Now I have elmar 50mm f2.8 M mount and it is much smaller than 50mm summicron, but what is really smal is screw mount elmar 5cm f3.5! It is like you have M body wihout lens. What OP can do is to buy industar 22 for next to nothing and test it, and if it is what he wants - go for elmar. There is also hektor f2.5 that is tiny when colapsed.
    Or if he gets a good Industar just keep that!

Frankly while a good alternative, in my opinion does not cut it. Even with my tiny 35/3.5 uncoated Elmar mounted in my M2, which practically flush to the body and does not need extension, its still bulkier and heavier than my CL with 40/2 Summicron and not as pocketable in a light jacket pocket.

Another alternative but completely different is a Contax T2. Compact, pocketable and a top class performer. 38/2.8 Sonnar lens. About $300-350 lately.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin