Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,374   Online: 1107

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the rangefinder v SLR topic, here is a really dumb thing for the new rangefinder user to keep an eye on. I have been using SLRs for almost 30 years and got a rangefinder last year after a very long gap. For the first few films I forgot to take the lens cap off on half the shots. At one point I even thought it had stopped working because I couldn't get a light reading. I am so used to looking through the taking lens I just assumed that if I could see through the finder then the cap must be off. I finally wrote "LC" in white paint beside the vewfinder, which seems to be working. Ho hum, and I have a Ph.D :-)

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    On the rangefinder v SLR topic, here is a really dumb thing for the new rangefinder user to keep an eye on. I have been using SLRs for almost 30 years and got a rangefinder last year after a very long gap. For the first few films I forgot to take the lens cap off on half the shots. At one point I even thought it had stopped working because I couldn't get a light reading. I am so used to looking through the taking lens I just assumed that if I could see through the finder then the cap must be off. I finally wrote "LC" in white paint beside the vewfinder, which seems to be working. Ho hum, and I have a Ph.D :-)

David.
    I'm not as well educated, but have been using RF's for a long time and sitll leave the cap on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, the M6TTL (and subsequent models, I believe) have LEDs in the viewfinder that blink madly when the lens cap is left on. Naturally, that info is from reading the manual and not from having seen the blinking light myself.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    For me, the single most important advantage of using a manual focus SLR is that it allows you to compose and focus simultaneousy. With a rangefinder, you have to first center your subject in the frame in order to focus and then compose in a separate operation. You can zone focus and shoot away but unless you are practiced at it you can lose some of the sharpness that the lenses are capable of. An SLR with a matte screen lets you compose your shot and focus on your subject no matter where in the frame it is placed. This is a powerful benefit, especially in handheld shooting of fleeting moments.

I regularly switch between RF and SLR and I am constantly amazed that I never forget to remove the lenscap. It is completely out of character for me. Normally, bonehead moves are my style.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    FWIW, the M6TTL (and subsequent models, I believe) have LEDs in the viewfinder that blink madly when the lens cap is left on. Naturally, that info is from reading the manual and not from having seen the blinking light myself.
    The M7 LED display does blink to say the 'subject' (being the back of the lens cap) would be underexposed as judged by the meter. As it would normally if app/shutter settings would not give a good exposure.

Another advantage of the rangefinder cameras is, with a good lens they will give a sharper picture than a 35mm SLR generally.

Another advantage I really like also is the ability to see action through the viewfinder before it comes into frame. So it isn't necessary to swing the camera at the person you are really wanting to photograph before they reach the optimum position .

And of course, they are less intrusive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft

David.
    Don't worry, I still do the same! In fact, the first time I got my Bessa R2 the under exposure light stayed on whatever aperture or shutter speed I selected. I took the camera to the window, I pointed it at a light, I upped the ISO to 3200. I thought I was going to have to send it back until I noticed the lens cap was still on! And I've got a PhD as well :-)

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought that the black thing at the front of the lens was just typical bad Leica quality control, but it looked kinda Goth, so I didn't try to get it off. I had two PhDs, but I lost one and broke the other.

Best,
    Helen

Images
    Didn't Uri Geller used to do an act where he would take "psychic" pictures with the lens cap taped onto his camera?
    Wo[SIZE=2]o[/SIZE][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE][SIZE=4]o[/SIZE][SIZE=5]o[/SIZE][SIZE=4]o[/SIZE][SIZE=3]o[/SIZE]oooo!
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too, have been guilty with leaving the lenscap on my Contax G1, and on my Canon Canonet QL-17. To make matters worse, it was my daughter, herself a very good photographer, that caught me. Nothing worse than being put in your place by a teenager....

Now, if anyone is looking for a used Contax G1....I have one.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I thought that the black thing at the front of the lens was just typical bad Leica quality control, but it looked kinda Goth, so I didn't try to get it off.
    Psssst. Don't tell anyone, Helen, but that black thing is actually a filter, intended to be used with the special infrablack film that has to be ordered directly from Solms. Unfortunately, you end up with a Leica logo watermark in the middle of all your infrablack shots, but that shows how discerning you are.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin