Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,523   Online: 992

Shooter
    35mm

CL over an M body?

I'm thinking of selling some of my M gear for a CL.

I have two M's and have never handled a CL. I use my Rollei 35 the most in this format because it is relatively light, very compact, and of high-enough build quality. I want a rangefinder with reduced weight/bulk and I prefer 40mm over 50mm (and hence no collapsibles) and so a CL + 40 cron seems like a natural choice.

I will probably try to get my hands on one first but I am wondering if anyone prefers the CL over the M.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would get the CLE which is a much nicer camera than the CL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

look at this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/1...-leica-cl.html

I think you should get CL and keep both M body's .

regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should ask yourself what lenses you shoot with, and how wide of an aperture you routinely use. The much shorter base lengths of the CL/CLE are not as accurate as the larger M bodies. Also there are a few lenses that will not fit on the CL/CLE because of the funky flip up metering cell.

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting a CL/CLE repaired may be difficult as parts for those cameras are no longer in production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an MP, an M2 and a CL. Thought of selling the CL as I use the others more but when a quick pocketable camera is what I want the CL with the 40mm f/2 Summicron is hard to beat. That said also consider a Konica Hexar AF. I just got one at a great price and its a terrific performer for the 35mm f/2 range. AF and metering has been spot on. Great camera for the street or for shooting my kids in the playground. And sometimes I like an a non-interchangeable lens camera. No choice of lenses to worry about which is sometimes a good thing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the CLE does not have the flipping up measuring cell, it measures the reflected light from the shutter. Furthermore I think the CLE does not have the mercury problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are right the CL is the only one with the moving meter cell.

Shooter
    35mm
    ...."the only one with the moving meter cell" with except of the Leica M 5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having used the CL but not the CLE I tend to think that the later camera by Minolta (who built both, anyways) might be the better choice for the various reasons stated above. Cosina-Voigtlander makes more recent 40mm lens compatible rangefinders that may interest you and you can always fit the Summicron f2 to them if you don't like the C-V lens line. Probably none of these have the build quality or smoothness of the M bodies if that is a concern.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin