Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,776   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

CLA suggestions for everyone.

We're missing a thread that gives member suggestions for CLA's. Please add your information if you have had a rangefinder CLA'd!

I recently picked up a Konica Auto S3 that needed a CLA. Many people suggested Greg Weber as the Konica god, but I found that his prices were very high and that his inventory was running low on spare parts. I ended up sending my S3 to Frank Marshman (aka Camera Wiz) in Harrisonburg, VA.

Mr. Marshman sourced a rewind lever for me and CLA'd my camera for a total of $60 (less than half of what Mr. Weber was going to charge). I received the camera less than two weeks after I sent it.

All in all, Mr. Marshman's services were excellent. He worked hard to return my camera to original condition and communicated well with me during the process. He didn't leave a single mar or mark on my camera from opening or adjusting.

I would not hesitate to send a camera to Mr. Marshman again. His work was top-notch and reasonably priced.
    Last edited by powasky; 05-27-2013 at 11:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also recommend Camera Wiz. I sent an enlarging lens there w/a fungus problem, and he even sent me a diagram w/a picture of the" ghost image" That was left after cleaning. He was almost inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $60 for a good CLA on a classic RF is pretty good - even without rewind lever repair. Love the low overhead of a home based business.

I thought I'd search to see if Marshman / Camera Wiz had a website but couldn't find it. Did find this thread on APUG from a year ago.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks much. I have a Vivitar VHE 80mm to send him, plus a 24-40 constant 2.8 Tokina, both w/haze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have to wait, it is still worth it to have http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ do the CLA. I highly recommend them.

For Widelux I recommend http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

I take my Hasselblad to Mike at Samys Camera on Fairfax in Los Angeles
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got my M4 CLA'd by Youxin Ye from Yye Camera out of Canton, MA and I gotta say, the job he did was incredible. I was lucky enough to spend the time in his shop as he tore my camera down and adjusted it. It was a great experience, and I never expected him to walk me through the majority of the process. At $150, it wasn't particularly cheap, but it's much cheaper than most of the Leica CLAs you can get done, and the turn-around time was two and a half hours! Nothing like getting a brand new feeling Leica in a matter of hours!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kchoquette View Post
    I just got my M4 CLA'd by Youxin Ye from Yye Camera out of Canton, MA and I gotta say, the job he did was incredible. I was lucky enough to spend the time in his shop as he tore my camera down and adjusted it. It was a great experience, and I never expected him to walk me through the majority of the process. At $150, it wasn't particularly cheap, but it's much cheaper than most of the Leica CLAs you can get done, and the turn-around time was two and a half hours! Nothing like getting a brand new feeling Leica in a matter of hours!
    Plus one for Youxin Ye..... hes the best value out there for Barnacks. I have never used him for an M but I hear he is great with them as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ray*j*gun View Post
    Plus one for Youxin Ye..... hes the best value out there for Barnacks. I have never used him for an M but I hear he is great with them as well.
    +3

i live an hour away and dropped it off + picked it up.
    he's a super nice guy too!
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    +4. My hometown is about a 30min trip away and I've gone down to hang out/help keep him company while he services my cameras (done it for a IIIc, an M4-P, and a Canon P). Great fun, learned a lot, and very high on the bang-for-the-buck spectrum. He's a great guy to chat with, as well -- very interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Miles Whitehead in the UK has always provided me with good service at very reasonable prices. Not rangefinders for me but Various Film SLRs and Large Format Shutters including a very nice Betax 2 he CLAd for me recently for a very reasonable total cost including return postage of £36.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin