Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,005   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is what Hasselblad says about parts for film cameras:

Spare parts for analogue camera products can be supplied for at least 10 years after production stops. Hasselblad will to the best of its ability supply spare parts for analogue camera products up to 20 years after production stops.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/service...-products.aspx

So at least to 2016, and maybe up to 2026. If you're concerned, why not contact Hasselblad and ask specifically about where things stand with the XPan?

Presumably parts can also be swapped from the Fuji TX cameras, though I doubt very much that Fuji itself would touch the Hasselblad-branded version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what hassy said -- if you want to invest, go for a highly diversified portfolio of mutual funds of mid- and high-cap stocks and at least AA tax-free bonds, with the ratio of stocks-to-bonds weighted to bonds depending on your age and retirement plans.

Avoid commodities. Gold really sucks right now.

If you want to have fun, buy a camera that you really want and use it. If it can be sold for what you paid for it in 20 years--your heirs will be lucky. Meanwhile, you got 20 years of fun out of it.

Even if it depreciates from $2,000 to zero -- that's still only $100 a year, less than $10 a month.

Best $1,300 i ever spent was for a Bianchi road bicycle 10 years ago. When I'm done with it, it won't be worth doodie, but I'll have gotten 30 or so years of use and better health out of it. I'd call that a darn good investment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My vote is for the Mamiya 7 with the 35mm panoramic adapter kit, you get all the Mamiya 7 lens changing options as well as having the option of shooting 120 film and 35mm panoramics.

That's what I use and it's AWESOME!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    That'd be my vote too.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I bought a $5 panoramic 35mm camera a few years ago and it takes much better photographs than I ever imagined. But can I ever get my five bucks back? (I have even used the camera professionally from time to time.)
    Hey, I'll give you $6.50 for it, right now!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My vote is for the Mamiya 7 with the 35mm panoramic adapter kit, you get all the Mamiya 7 lens changing options as well as having the option of shooting 120 film and 35mm panoramics.

That's a good option, but it doesn't really replace the Xpan - the Mamiya 7 is a much bigger camera than an Xpan, and the widest it goes is 43mm, which for all intents and purposes is just as wide as the 45mm "normal" lens for the Xpan. The Xpan does have as an option (albeit a very expensive option) a 30mm wide-angle. AND the Xpan can switch back and forth mid-roll from 24x65mm to 24x35mm frames. It is truly a unique camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the Fuji version and I also love it. There is another route however. Get a Bronice ETRSi with a 40mm lens and the 135w back. This will allow you to shoot stunning panoramic shots with a 2 1/4 lens and a 2 1/4 camera. I wandered all over Maine with one and had superior results which can be seen on my web site at loganphotographics.com at the Maine trip tab. Either one makes 24x 56mm negs that are fun to shoot and fun to print. I think the Bronica version will be less $$$$ than the xPan or the Fuji version.... check it out.... oh, there's yet still another route.... get a Bronica SQ A or B with a 40mm lens and the 135w back for that camera. Bronica SQ A's and B's are about the same except the A is electronic and the B is nearly all manual... I have both.... I like the B best.... don't know why.... just do.
    Logan
    Last edited by whlogan; 06-06-2013 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: puncuation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    This is what Hasselblad says about parts for film cameras:

Spare parts for analogue camera products can be supplied for at least 10 years after production stops. Hasselblad will to the best of its ability supply spare parts for analogue camera products up to 20 years after production stops.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/service...-products.aspx

So at least to 2016, and maybe up to 2026. If you're concerned, why not contact Hasselblad and ask specifically about where things stand with the XPan?

Presumably parts can also be swapped from the Fuji TX cameras, though I doubt very much that Fuji itself would touch the Hasselblad-branded version.
    Thanks Oren, you went right to the point: when I talk about "investment", it is not really because I am thinking of re-selling the camera one day, but because if I spend 2000 Euros for a camera, I want it to last a long time. I really consider your suggestion: I will try to contact Hasselblad in Germany (where I live now) and ask till when they plan to provide camera repair. I haven't thought of buying Fuji TX actually because of this reason: it's more likely that Fuji already does not provide camera repair... but maybe I'm wrong. I'll check on that, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Remember that XPans were Fuji TX-1/TX-2's with a different paint job, in all other aspects they are identical. So Hasselblad is/was getting their parts from Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I have also heard about this option, but I have read not really good opinions about the adapter:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo...c=13565.0;wap2
    Maybe you can add your experience to this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicowestlicht View Post
    I have also heard about this option, but I have read not really good opinions about the adapter:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo...c=13565.0;wap2
    Maybe you can add your experience to this?
    That seems a pretty unique issue because of the Kirk bracket he keeps on his Mamiya. After all you must have a way to rewind the 35mm back in. To me that's a minor inconvenience to get such an awesome 6x7 camera with terrific lenses selection AND a 35mm panoramic option to boot.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin