Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,660   Online: 954

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad X-Pan: a good investment?

Hi guys,

I am myself a rangefinder camera enthusiast, and I would like to get acquainted with panorama photography. For that, I was thinking to buy a Hasselblad X-Pan, and here comes the question: do you think it is a good investment?
    I mean, it's one of the most expensive 35mm cameras I have ever seen: nowadays, for a kit with body in good conditions + 45 and 90mm lenses one should spend at least 2000 dollars/euros. Is it really worth this money, since the camera has electronics in it (and therefore more difficult to repair) and the models on second-hand market are in the average even more than 10 years old? I do have a Contax G2, but reasonably the value of the body is less than half the value of X-Pan's.

Thanks for sharing your impressions with me,
    Nico

Shooter
    35mm
    What do you mean by "investment"? If you're into camera gear investments I'm not sure you'll be happy.
    But yes, a Xpan is totally worth it. Especially if your enlarger can handle the negatives. It's a unique camera and its quality is extremely high. Resale value? I think it's pretty stable...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your reply. Actually I am more worried about buying a camera that in some years becomes totally unreliable and maybe not even able to be repaired, since it got discontinued: this is my main concern.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to invest your money to make a return on it I can't think of a worst thing in this day and age than film photographic equipment, however if you want to invest in your photographic enjoyment, and the range and breadth of your work it's an excellent investment.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a terrific camera, it makes amazing pictures, and although it does have electronics, they're not terribly sophisticated as these things go (it's no Canon EOS 5D). I wouldn't worry about the electronics that much, or the motor for the film advance. If you want one, buy one, shoot it in good health and enjoy it until it dies, which unless you are shooting multiple rolls with it every day will probably be after you do.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My vote is for the Mamiya 7 with the 35mm panoramic adapter kit, you get all the Mamiya 7 lens changing options as well as having the option of shooting 120 film and 35mm panoramics.

That's what I use and it's AWESOME!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Xpan is a unique camera. So if you want to shoot pan format on film, the Xpan is superb.

And it is beautifully portable and compact.

If you want to invest in one as an investment, it is terrible, firstly because you won't want to sell it.

Vick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the XPan II with the 45 & 90 mm lenses and I love using it. I found that it changed my whole approach to composition when using it. I only shoot B&W film with it so I can develope and print it myself after having the negative carrier adjusted. It was the most expensive camera that I ever bought and I don't regret a penny I spent on it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The X-Pan is the best 35mm camera I ever owned. Good glass, accurate shutter, spot on meter and quick and easy to handle.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also have the XPan and the 45 and 90mm lenses.

Without doubt, the sharpest lenses I own. The quality is top notch and, as has been noted, it's reliable and solid.

My only regret is that I used to own 2 of them and I sold one off...wish I'd kept it.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin