Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,233   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well this is embarrassing ..

I thought it may actually be my Leica IIIc causing that trouble (I shot that roll about two months ago.) So I ran a roll through both cameras.

.. and the problem did not resurface

I also tried Rick Olson's CRT shutter speed check (http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html) on both cameras and neither showed trouble (as did two other unrelated cameras.)

Sorry everyone ..
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    Well this is embarrassing ..

I thought it may actually be my Leica IIIc causing that trouble (I shot that roll about two months ago.) So I ran a roll through both cameras.

.. and the problem did not resurface

I also tried Rick Olson's CRT shutter speed check (http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html) on both cameras and neither showed trouble (as did two other unrelated cameras.)

Sorry everyone ..
    There you go, as a leica that is only about 80 years old shouldn't cause any problems.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Possibly something across lens then, like the strap?

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no way your camera caused fogging like that down the middle of a lengthwise piece of film. Has to be fogging from some other cause.

Scientific testing demands repeatability. Run a factory-loaded roll you know is good, and soup that, see what happens. Review all your film handling procedures while you do.

oh, wait, i see you did.

Problem solved. Check your film stocks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    There's no way your camera caused fogging like that down the middle of a lengthwise piece of film. Has to be fogging from some other cause.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the examples posted by the OP are positives, so if there is any fogging, it is at the edge of the negatives, not the centre.

It looks to me like something is in the light path near the centre of the image field.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have whole array of things that might have gotten bad, some of which can come and go, just as you wrote:
    ripped curtains could make this pattern go on and off, check for loose thread sticking out of a curtain edge
    badly serviced curtains (unevenly attached) - not very probable to manifest itself on a single roll only
    Faulty development or fixing - it's a bizarre pattern, but you newer know... If you've done stand development, I would blame the processing part, not the shutter.
    A hair or a thread somewhere inside the lens (somewhere near rear element?) - most probable cause IMO too, may vanish by itself
    A light leak, as suggested, may manifest itself this way, or a faulty cassette
    Finally, a batch of film might have been produced with a flaw like this

It's not really good to hear things like this to come and go, there's a chance of it coming back and ruining more shots. Prevention needs the cause to be known.
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with a sticking shutter sometimes goes away with exercise. However it usually comes back.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience when shutter troubles have come up, they rarely go away without a proper repair.

That being said, I believe it's a light leak and possibly the way I opened the film canister. I've always found Kodak canisters to be tricky, so I try to leave the leader out.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't understand why dark areas on (positive) photos are so often diagnosed as light leaks. Surely something's blocking the light not letting it in. If it were the extra light from a leak causing the issue, the photo would show white or overexposed areas. It would be the original negative that showed dark areas. Or am I missing something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michael stevens View Post
    Or am I missing something?
    No you are missing nothing, I just wonder how there can be so many posts accumulated between them by so many people who still can't see the difference between negative and positive........on a film forum!

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin