Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,506   Online: 1060

Shooter
    35mm

Xpan for street?

Have any of you lucky Xpan or Fuji TX owners found the wide format useful for street work or a hinderance?

Please post some examples of your wide street shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried a gallery search? I remember seeing some remarkable street photos with the Xpan from someone with the first name Collin (I think).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Have you tried a gallery search? I remember seeing some remarkable street photos with the Xpan from someone with the first name Collin (I think).
    OP is member, not subscriber - so unfortunately no gallery search for him.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the is always flickr... and doesn't that camera allow you to switch between pano and regular crop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally would never use a Xpan nor Fuji TX to repair or repave a street. On the other hand either would work well for street photography, but that depends on what and how you are going to shoot.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When doing street photography people usually want to be as inconspicuous as possible. Additionally just what would this wide format get you in this style of photography?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have no problem with using one per se, but that's assuming I could afford one. Being inconspicuous is one thing, but there's always the problem of people taking offence at having their photo taken and attacking you (and damaging the camera in the process), or just anyone noticing your expensive camera and stealing it. That's why I went for a Bessa. Average Joe with enough brains to have to resort to stealing things for a living won't know the difference between it and a $4k Leica, but from my end if it gets stolen i've lost $500 and a roll of film max...

Seeing as the xpan can still shoot normal 3:2 shots, I wouldn't call going wide a hinderance. Even if you leave it in the wide setting all you do is burn through film faster, you can always crop later. Whether it adds anything to the shot I don't know, that will be very subject-dependant.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've not had the pleasure of an Xpan, but when shooting street, I do like to go wide angle to establish the wholeness of a scene. And, one ancillary benefit is that with very wide lenses, sometimes a key subject may have no idea that they're in your frame. I'd imagine that could be a (very small) consideration with an Xpan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin