Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,471   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Zeiss Ikon is awesome, fairly light, but no smaller than a Leica.

Bessa R2M, R3M, R4M are great too, maybe a little lighter than a Ikon, and a lot cheaper.

If you don't mind finders and range finders being separate, check out Bessa T and Leica IIIf. The Leica is tiny but heavier than the Bessa T. The Bessa T is still small, and has modern conveniences like film loading, meter, and the range finder was clearer my Leica IIIf.

If you want really tiny, there is the Contax T. It's AE only if I recall right, but it's very small and very light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Johnny come lately . . . Olympus XA, which, like a turtle, has it's own built-in hard case.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    an XA was $235 in 1978? Wow -- that puts it more than $500 in today's money.

And worth it, I might add.
    Yes a dealer near where I lived had one set with the A11 flash. He had it since 78 and couldn't sell it so he sold the set to me for $150 in 1979.

Shooter
    35mm
    when carrying a camera weight isn't an issue but size is and how careful I have to be with the camera makes it more difficult to carry. An M7 is definitely difficult to carry as I would not want to scratch the finish. The FE is actually easier to carry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Can I assume you mean a 35mm RF? Because they come in other formats..

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Contax T is just about exactly what you're looking for.

See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Hmm. That seems high. I think that might have been the original introductory manufacturer's suggested price. Let me go take a quick look...

OK. Here's my original receipt from December 16, 1984:

Bought it for my wife as a Christmas gift. As I recall, her problem with it was its size. Too small. So I got her something else that she was far happier using.

Guess who got to keep the jewel-like XA?

(And it still looks and works like brand new all these years later.)

Ken
    hey, just going by the price on the web site -- i never argue with someone who can produce a receipt from 1978...

as to concerns by others of its size being too small, it's heft too light -- not really. The lack of mass to absorb shutter shake is compensated for by the electronic shutter release which really is feather-light. You can hand-hold remarkably slow speeds with an XA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Hmm. That seems high. I think that might have been the original introductory manufacturer's suggested price. Let me go take a quick look...

OK. Here's my original receipt from December 16, 1984:

Ken
    Got any storage issues Ken?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a balda that's just like that contax that's really really small and sturdy with good glass.

I've also got a zeiss Ikon but neither have actual coupled finders so it's all measuring ... I really would agree if the newer ikon's that are coupled are as nice, I would get one of those... I want to sell my two, the balda has a broken/frozen winder, and the Ikon I have I just tend to always throw old C-41 film in and x-process as B&W but I'm getting tired of the results and don't really have a need for it anymore...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies! Both the Olympus XA and the Contax T are exactly what I'm looking for. This.was very helpful. Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin