Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 840

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've found that my example of the Olympus XA has considerable light fall off in the corners. My Contax T is much better in that regard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you are already into a Nikon SLR system, look into a Nikon FG body with series E 50mm lens. Small, light, and inexpensive. I've got some older Leica gear, but often carry an FG in less than ideal conditions so I don't have to worry about it. (Motorcycle tank bag)
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The 35RC is pretty much the same as all the other compact shutter-priority rangefinders of that era. You can't really go wrong with many of them regardless of which manufacturer you choose.
    You will find it is also a fully manual camera, a feature that many other's are deficient in.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    You will find it is also a fully manual camera, a feature that many other's are deficient in.
    I'm talking about these type of compact rangefinders:

Olympus 35 RC
    Olympus 35 SP
    Minolta Hi-matic 7sII
    Konica C35
    Canonet QL17

etc. are all extremely similar in usage, size, and focal length. They almost all offer shutter priority as their "auto" mode but are easily used manually by just not switching to "auto."
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Super Paxette with a 38mm Staeble Choro on it is pretty small, pretty cheap and a nice all around, all-metal, all- manual camera. Sunny 16 and you're set. The 1/300 top shutter speed might be a problem, as might be the weight (lighter than a Leica M, but not light).

Second also the XA. That lens is really good, even if some of them fall off in the corners.

--nosmok
    Last edited by nosmok; 07-08-2013 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You might take a gander at the Minolta Repo, or the Oly Pen EE s. Both are 1/2 frame and tiny metal jewels, more than ready to hide in a pocket until needed. Being 1/2 frame, your film seems to last forever, but that's just another bonus! Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, nice reply with the receipt! Also, that the XA didn't devalue... at least in '84 dollars. You've been an oly guy for a while...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I'm talking about these type of compact rangefinders:

Olympus 35 RC
    Olympus 35 SP
    Minolta Hi-matic 7sII
    Konica C35
    Canonet QL17

etc. are all extremely similar in usage, size, and focal length. They almost all offer shutter priority as their "auto" mode but are easily used manually by just not switching to "auto."
    The C35 has no manual exposure mode. On the others, like the Hi-Matic and the QL-17, manual exposure mode is un-metered. The biggest problem with all of these is finding a working version where the battery wire was not eaten by corrosion or meter mechanics not gummy from disuse. These bodies also tended to use extensive foam in the back seals which are a PITA to replace. If cleaned, the 35RC viewfinder is amazingly bright. Ricoh had some models that are very similar to the 35RC: the 500G/GX/ME/RF series. These were also sold by Sears as the Sears RF. These are typically quite a bit less expensive than a 35RC but perform similarly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FYI, here is a size comparison of the Olympus 35RC vs. XA:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4370406114_7953a42199_z.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	72057

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I've found that my example of the Olympus XA has considerable light fall off in the corners. My Contax T is much better in that regard.
    I had an XA in the 80s that had real vignetting issues. I returned it to Olympus who said it was operating to specification, an official way of saying "they all do that, sir". It was a known issue, some people lived with it, others got frustrated. It's a nice camera but I found it a bit titchy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin