Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,175   Online: 759

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm RF
    buy the first one in the charity shop which looks reasonable, refoam yourself... mouse mat and rubber cement from bicycle repair kit

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by maderik View Post
    The C35 has no manual exposure mode. On the others, like the Hi-Matic and the QL-17, manual exposure mode is un-metered. The biggest problem with all of these is finding a working version where the battery wire was not eaten by corrosion or meter mechanics not gummy from disuse. These bodies also tended to use extensive foam in the back seals which are a PITA to replace. If cleaned, the 35RC viewfinder is amazingly bright. Ricoh had some models that are very similar to the 35RC: the 500G/GX/ME/RF series. These were also sold by Sears as the Sears RF. These are typically quite a bit less expensive than a 35RC but perform similarly.
    While it's true that there aren't many (any?) fixed-lens rangefinders with coupled meters in manual, the other concerns here have been, in my experience, non issues. 2 Canonets (a QL17 and QL19, both G-III), a Yashica 35G, and an Olympus 35SP have all had accurate, functioning meters, clean, aligned rangefinders, and serviceable, if aging seals. To that point, I've replaced seals on a canonet and a Yashica, and while they took a measure of manual dexterity, I wouldn't call any portion of the process a PITA by any means.

Not at all saying that user maderik is wrong, but that my subjective experience with these cameras has been significantly different from his/hers.

It's also worth noting that the Oly 35SP does, strictly speaking, have metered manual...though it's not a coupled meter, which largely nullifies the benefits one imagines enjoying with metered manual mode. Basically, the meter moves a needle to an EV value in the viewfinder, then you adjust the aperture and shutter to match that EV on the lens, and you're at the proper exposure.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    buy the first one in the charity shop which looks reasonable, refoam yourself... mouse mat and rubber cement from bicycle repair kit
    You made my day

I'm refurbishing an old Nikon F3, see: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...-nikon-f3.html
    I recently received a nice new leatherette (blue!!) and needed "rubber cement" for it. I never heard of rubber cement and wasn't sure where to get it over here in Holland.
    But hey! I know how to repair a bicycle tire (almost everyone does in Holland - bicycle country no. 1). But it never occurred to me that I could use the glue for fixing leak tires as rubber cement on my camera. How simple can it be?

So: THANK YOU !!
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    But hey! I know how to repair a bicycle tire (almost everyone does in Holland - bicycle country no. 1). But it never occurred to me that I could use the glue for fixing leak tires as rubber cement on my camera. How simple can it be?
    The rubber repair solution is ok for seals as in film door:-
    - cut the mouse mat with straight edges and scaple e.g. steel ruler etc.
    - trial fit new trap with it dry, rework until exact fit and thickness note it will settle in a bit but black mouse mat only needs to be touching for a seal, you are trying to get the foam to self locate...
    - the metal part needs to be clean, (rust would not be good...) apply glue to metal part and refit foam leave camera closed for 24 hours

The rubber wont do much damage to the seal material (ex mouse mat) people keep giving me promotional mouse mats...

A mirror bumper needs a better glue any of the tubes of instant glue should be ok...

Good luck
    Last edited by Xmas; 07-25-2013 at 08:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin