Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 822

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Smallest/lightest weight rangefinder

I'm looking to pick up a really small lightweight rangefinder. I mostly use a Nikon FE2 and it's a bit too heavy for my daily comings and goings. I recently used an M7 as well, and while it was a delight to use, it's actually about the same weight as the FE2, thought smaller in size. So I'm looking to pick up something else. I almost entirely use a 35mm lens, so I don't necessarily need something an interchangeable lens camera. I'm leaning towards a Minolta CLE. The newer Zeiss Ikon is an attractive option - it's lighter than a leica. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go with one of the many fixed lens rangefinders like a 35RC, QL17, or himatic 7sII, etc. these all use high quality lenses and will be close to 35 (usually 38-45mm). They're very small and take high quality shots.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great thing about a QL17 GIII is that you can bang it around. That, in a sense, makes it "lighter" since you don't have to worry about it.

If it breaks, you can always get another one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    I'm looking to pick up a really small lightweight rangefinder. I mostly use a Nikon FE2 and it's a bit too heavy for my daily comings and goings. I recently used an M7 as well, and while it was a delight to use, it's actually about the same weight as the FE2, thought smaller in size. So I'm looking to pick up something else. I almost entirely use a 35mm lens, so I don't necessarily need something an interchangeable lens camera. I'm leaning towards a Minolta CLE. The newer Zeiss Ikon is an attractive option - it's lighter than a leica. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark
    Can I assume you mean a 35mm RF? Because they come in other formats..

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    olympus xa is the smallest and lightest i've ever found. Pocket-size, high quality, cult following makes prices a bit higher...but a lot cheaper than a minolta cle or leica cl or their ilk. Rollei 35 is also very small and light, but lacks a rangefinder and square corners make it difficult to pocket comfortably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the usual suspect for "smallest," "lightest" and "rangefinder" all in the same package is an Olympus XA. But these are sooo small and light that some photographers just never seem able to warm up to them. I have one and think they are wonderful little cameras, but definitely an acquired taste. YMMV.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    an XA was $235 in 1978? Wow -- that puts it more than $500 in today's money.

And worth it, I might add.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm. That seems high. I think that might have been the original introductory manufacturer's suggested price. Let me go take a quick look...

OK. Here's my original receipt from December 16, 1984:

Bought it for my wife as a Christmas gift. As I recall, her problem with it was its size. Too small. So I got her something else that she was far happier using.

Guess who got to keep the jewel-like XA?

(And it still looks and works like brand new all these years later.)

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    another vote for a Olympus XA -I paid $25 for the last one I bought a few months ago...great camera to use
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lighter isn't always better. A camera with some heft can be a better shooter, because it is a more stable platform.

The Canon QL17 is a well-made camera, but I wouldn't think of it as lightweight. The Olympus 35 RC is a small camera that gets a lot of positive comments. The Olympus XA is very nice, but I sometimes think it is a bit too small and the finish too smooth (always use a hand or neck strap).

There are numerous other small 35mm rangefinders from the 1970s, including offerings from Minolta, Konica and Rollei.

The Zeiss Ikon is a full-size camera, while the Cosina Voigtlander Bessa cameras are a bit smaller.
    Last edited by elekm; 07-06-2013 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin