Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,033   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Argus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

My first Argus

Argus C3 Matchmatic. Just went through it top to bottom.
    $14 at the thrift shop. Quick fix for EI to seconds.

Missing the light meter, so I'll have to find one. Otherwise, decent shape.
    Gonna go shoot some HP5 and see how it does.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0067_zps8d9bbd8b.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	71609

Name:	DSC_0068_zps46475c56.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	71610

Name:	DSC_0069_zpsdde55961.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	71611
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    very stylish -- i just got an older C3 in a thrift store purchase i want to try out as well. The lenses on those were actually pretty good so your images should be as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Love the Argus C-3s. While in college, I worked in a camera store in my home town which was where the Argus cameras were made (Ann Arbor, MI) during the late '50s and early '60s, and made many trips to the factory to pick up cameras and projectors. The local camera club used to meet in the Argus plant cafeteria.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post

Missing the light meter, so I'll have to find one.

What's a "light meter"

Mine's a circa 1941, no meter. Just use sunny 16. Taking it to Normandy the end of August and pretend I'm Tony Vaccaro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a regular C3 which I purchased new around the end of 1957. I have done a CLA and rangefinder calibration on it in recent times, and it still works -- surprisingly well in basic outdoor conditions. I wouldn't claim it's my "go to" camera, but I get it out at least once a year...

There's an organization called the Argus Collectors Group that started doing an "Argus Day" event in 2001. Folks are encouraged to get out an Argus camera and put it to use; submitting two results to the ACG. The group is small and doesn't seem too organized, but so far the annual event has happened, sometimes on short notice.

At the moment there is no mention of 2013, but I just raised that question on the Argus Flickr discussion group, another resource. The original day in 2001 was held on August 1st -- proclaimed "Argust 1st" for the occasion. The day has been moved along corresponding to the last digits of the year. Last year was Argust 12th, etc. Don't know what happens in 2032, but given my age I likely won't be worried about it! (Actually the website now says a year and a day after the previous, so maybe it goes to September 1st, but that doesn't lend itself to the clever word play!) I originally learned of the event here on APUG in 2006 and have participated since.

The ACG also has some manuals and repair information on line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my C-3's regularly, I buy a few each year to over haul and resale. It is a very easy camera to work on and enjoy tinkering with them. And as said the lens can give nice results.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live about three blocks from the old Argus building. It's now owned by the University of Michigan but they maintain a small display of old Argus cameras and equipment.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a big Argus devotee too. The Matchmatic is pretty, but I hate the proprietary aperture/shutter numbers. The plain black ones are more functional to me. I find the lowly C3 to be a vastly underrated and under-appreciated camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy!!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Was there ever a lens longer than 100 mm for the Argus C3 camera?
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin