Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,476   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

First rangefinder

Yesterday I received my first rangefinder. My stepfather handed me a Yashica Electro 35G, along with a Polaroid Land Camera 95. The Polaroid will become a piece for the collector case and will be putting the Electro in action. I picked up a replacement 23A and will see if I can machine a adapter housing. After reading reports of people using them and seeing the image quality, I'm very excited to see what I can do with it.

Any tips for the new owner?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just one tip from me: go shoot some film and have a good time!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's simple to retrofit the battery cap with a spring that will allow you to use two CR2 cells to power the camera. Enjoy the Electro 35.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not think that you will find a better lens but, pray tell, where did you find that oddball battery? Must you retrofit instead of using the original? That said, it's a shame you do not have manual override or the ability to choose aperture. (Am I incorrect?) - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    David, I machined an adapter out of derlin plastic stock and put in a metal rod for conductivity. Its very sturdy and will last the lifetime of the body and longer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can get a proper adapter at Yashica Guy's website, or on eBay. The adapters that allow you to use a 4LR44 or 4SR44 are the best type. Also, make sure the light seals are in decent shape. You can use black yarn and glue it into the seal channels, and use the black felt material from old 35mm film canisters to make the big seal near the door hinge. The Yashica Electro 35 can take superb photos.

Shooter
    35mm
    San, I checked out the adapter, but I didnt want to pay for something that I can make during lunch at work. The adapter is made to be a direct replacement dimensionally using a 4LR44 "23A" battery. I will post a picture of it a little bit this afternoon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374345442.342592.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	71958

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zackesch View Post
    Any tips for the new owner?
    An important one... Remember to remove the lens cap! It's easy to forget, when moving from an SLR to a RF.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congrats! A John Goodman seal kit might be in order. Lets hope the thing is working tip top. If not, I know Russ Sisco can do a great CLA...

http://www.camerarefurb.com/Services.htm

No affinity to Russ, just'a happy customer, had a CLA from him for my Lynx and it was perfect

Last, the below guy sure knows his Electro, some good advice here:
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/0...icky-opaterny/

Be careful if you need to do work, sometimes it is much more reasonable to send a camera off for a CLA than try to DIY....

Yashicas are great cameras! Run'a ton a film thru it!!

Great battery mod! Sure Polygot and the other good mod'rs round here are happy to see your handy work.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin