Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,115   Online: 1197

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Batteries are not really an issue. Anybody using hearing aids (except me!) will have no trouble finding the much-vaunted "button cell batteries" for any spotmeter that needs them.
    1° spot meters are very, very, very accurate when you know what you are doing with them e.g. at a base leel, highlights, shadow, mid-tones, average of all of them and additional compensation for filtration etc (critical for polarisers). Your metering technique will get a solid workout (you might even lose a few hairs...) using transparency film which is less forgiving of mistakes than neg film, but is really an excellent way of mastering spot metering.
    +1, a spot meter in the hands of someone who has little understanding of the principals of exposure is a recipe for disaster, many beginners get the impression by remarks they read in on line forums that spot meters the magic bullet, and they are very disappointed when they buy one because their exposures are worse not better.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccl@yahoo.com View Post
    First, I can't afford anything in the B&H catalogue. So, searching e-bay, I'm attracted to the Minolta "F" because it uses "AA" batteries. I see some Pentax Spot Meter V on the "Bay", but I wonder what kind of battery availability. Looks like it takes the old "button" batteries that have been discontinued requiring some kind of adaptation. I've seen a Soligor listed at attracive prices, but what about quality and battery type. I see a Honeywell Pentax 1/21 at a low price, but I'm leary of the battery situation. So, I'd appreciate your advice. I want to try "Zone System" exposure, so I think I need reflective rather than incident. I think the 1 degree spot is required to pick out the specific areas for metering. Looks like the Soligor is the least expensive, but what are the drawbacks? Is the Pentax V a low cost because of the batteries? What would be a current production battery choice? I currently use Wein Cell batteries with an adapter for my HiMatic 7s. Maybe there's a similar solution for the Pentax V?

Thank you all for your input.

Jim
    I thought the guy who did the zone system only had a Weston meter with a large acceptance angle?

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    I thought the guy who did the zone system only had a Weston meter with a large acceptance angle?

That guy knew exactly what he was doing, even if he used a ouija board to 'read' a scene. Or guesstimating, as he sometimes did. Truth be told, Adams, owned several meters including a spot meter.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.batteriesinaflash.com

I've used these folks (Vegas, I think) for "discontinued" batteries. Save yourself the expense and hassle of tracking down what you need locally, when you can likely get a 20 years supply for less cost by surfing the net. Cowabunga, man.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    http://www.batteriesinaflash.com

I've used these folks (Vegas, I think) for "discontinued" batteries. Save yourself the expense and hassle of tracking down what you need locally, when you can likely get a 20 years supply for less cost by surfing the net. Cowabunga, man.
    Nice resource, couldn't find the rogue mercury batteries though.

Not that I want to hurt the environment. I merely miss the kind of battery you can put in a camera and forget about for 3-4 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've often felt that if mercury cells were sold with a LARGE deposit, returned when the depleted cell was returned to a dealer, we could use these cells without endangering the environment. I have a Bulova Accutron 214 Space View which used mercury cells, one per year. I'd happily pay a deposit of $30. or so per cell to keep this beauty running and not have to have it adapted to silver oxide "fuel."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The earlier Spotmeter V sold. Here is another opportunity to pick up the "best in class" meter... Again no connection with seller. But seems a good value for a good meter

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=38808

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This makes me appreciate the Master II meter I recently adapted to Zone System...

No batteries, and very accurate considering its age.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    That guy knew exactly what he was doing, even if he used a ouija board to 'read' a scene. Or guesstimating, as he sometimes did. Truth be told, Adams, owned several meters including a spot meter.
    I do appreciate he might well have been a better photographer than me (or thee), but for some interval he had to wait for his colleague/coworker Weston to do him a photo meter, and include a zone system calculator on it, and then a further interval before commercial spot meters were available...

I still use a Weston II or III neither of these ever needs a battery on Sunday, and I dont think either have been serviced yet, I have a collection of Weston Vs that need refurbed BTW... The II & IIIs are ever so cheap in our street market stalls... 20 GBP typically with case and invercone sets. They are all within 1/3 of a stop of each other from bright to needle movement...

I dont bother with any of the stick on templates as the poster above uses. a note where zone 1 is is sufficient.

But If you feel you need a spot meter, I suggest you need to read his books again. If he could use a Weston ok then so can you.

If you are gong to pack a spot, then I'd pack a Weston II as a secondary calibration, I pack one with a K1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, XMAS, should I get a "Weston Master II Universal - Model 735" or "Model 715"? I'd be running either 100 or occasionally 400 B&W. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin