Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,494   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

I have gone mental

For some reason I have it in my mind that my ol' Nikon SLR's are more sturdy and rugged than my rangefinders (M3 and R3M). And that the VF's are more prone to misalignment even though I have NEVER had this happen. Please bring me back to reality so I can get back to my RF's.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is no redeeming quality to a Leica whatsoever. Nikon is all you need, Leica is an absurdly expensive toy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    There is no redeeming quality to a Leica whatsoever. Nikon is all you need, Leica is an absurdly expensive toy.
    Too late, toys are already bought and paid for.
    Akiva S.

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    You just sounded like you needed somebody to slap you back into sensibility. I see you have a Nikkormat FTN. So there's your best camera right there. Not worth 20 dollars on ebay, and the best camera in your bag.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 07-31-2013 at 11:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Too late, toys are already bought and paid for.
    Just use them. Don't bang them around. That's it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago I dropped my well-used Nikon FE while I was crossing the street. 4 ft drop onto concrete put a BIG dent in the prism housing. The attached 50mm lens was OK, but looking thru the VF the image was distorted. I was sure I had shattered the prism, but removing the lens I found that the mirror was half raised, so I was able to push it back down into place. I was able to continue shooting that day and never encountered any problems with the body afterward. I am fairly certain any of my F or F2 bodies will be able to survive the same abuse just as well, or better. I have an F2 that looks like it went thru a garbage disposal and is mechanically perfect.

That being said, I love my M2 - it's a joy to use a 50-year old mechanical marvel like this. Same feeling as shooting a plain-prism Nikon F, simple and uncluttered and neither is a toy by any means. Just use the tools that fit your hands and suit your style of shooting, regardless of price or reputation. Both cameras were engineered and designed to do one thing very well. I don't expect that the RF of a Leica will fare as well after the impact that my FE suffered and it certainly wouldn't be as cheap to repair/replace.

Only you know what you need. My ideal shooting day is an urban walkabout with an M2 and an F, a few lenses for each, a lot of film and a few good cafes along the way. (If I have space in the bag I may bring along a Rolleiflex!)

Go take some pictures!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Just use them. Don't bang them around. That's it.
    true and don't drop the gbag either

but Nikon F and F2 shutter ribbon seems to be better material probably for the continuous use on motor drive even Canon P shutters seem to have better build standard for reliability.

Leica lost the plot when they went to zinc, rationalized range finder and special tool for adjustment... the FSU removed the rotating follower but retained screw driver adjustment, the Ja improved the build standard so a little Ja lady could build without swiss files.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys, starting to feel better already. The nip of bourbon also helped.
    Akiva S.

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SLRs and rangefinders are completely different beasts. Both are good and their usefulness depend on the photogrspher's vision and type of photography. Don't compare apples to oranges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica Ms and Nikon F#s of similar age are of equal quality to one another. They are different tools for different types of image making. That is all.

If you need to remember why you have an M3, just take it out of the bag and use it for a week.

My M2 is my primary camera for just about everything that doesn't happen in a studio, I've only owned it for just under a year, but I put my gear through a lot, and the VF is still as accurate as the day I got it.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin