Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,733   Online: 861

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Where did my photos go?

Hi

I have recently bought my very first analogue camera (a Konica C35 rangefinder). I'm an experienced digital photographer, but completely green when it comes to analogues cameras. Anyway, I took the camera for a spin and shot my first roll of film. However, when I had the pictures developed I only received 2 photos - the rest were blank. The two photos were in the X and 00 position (which I don't really know what means). Does anybody have an idea of what has gone wrong? Have I put in the film incorrectly? Or does it look like there's something wrong with the camera? I'm a bit puzzled as to why I got two pictures - which were the last two pictures I took before removing the roll. The only unusual thing I noticed when using the camera was that the film roll was for 24 pictures, but I kept being able to shoot after the 24 pictures were used.

Does anybody have an idea of what has gone wrong and how I can fix it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No. We have no idea other than guesses because we do not have enough information. The camera could be defective. How? Who knows? You could have loaded the film wrong. You could have left the lens cap on. The exposures could have been so far off that nothing recorded on the film. Etc.

Based on the fact that you went past the 24 mark, I'm "guessing" you loaded the film wrong. But, I could be wrong.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always confirm that the film is transporting by checking to see if the rewind knob moves as I advance the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you leave the lens cap on?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Again, not enough info..
    Did you read the owners manual? IIRC this is an auto-only compact 35 - is the battery good?

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, I'm not sure what I wrote that made me deserve that kind of reply, David?

But, anyway, some more info.
    - Yes I'm positive that I removed the lens cap for all shots.
    - The camera is quite automatic, and the exposure of the two pictures I got were spot on, so it should be working.
    - The lightmeter on the display move according to whether I point the camera at a light or dark area, so I'm guessing that the battery is also working - I put a new one in before testing the camera.

As I said, I have never before used an analogue camera, so my main concern is that I have put in the film in an incorrect way. I have obviosuly looked in the manual, but it is difficult to know if everything is set up properly once I close the back. However, what puzzles me is that I got two good pictures anyway, as if the film "fell into place". Does the numbers X and 00 have any specific meaning or could it just be something specific for my film roll? If they designate the two first frames of the film, then perhaps the film just wasn't properly in place before, thus the empty frames. If they designate the last two frames, then some mechanical error could have occured during the first 22 frames.

I'm not asking for a definite answer, but just input from more experienced users.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What type of film did you use? Is the film blank/clear, or is it black?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've uploaded a picture here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Photo003.jpeg
    The bottom frame is X, then 00, and then 1 to 24 (which are all blank).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Typical 35mm films have frame numbers, both text and bar codes, installed on them by the manufacturer. The primary numbers are 1 -- 24 (12/20/36) working up from the leader end. I don't think it's consistent beyond that, but films I've seen have often had a frame 0 ahead of frame 1, and some may have a 00 (or maybe an X). In some cameras, if the end of the film is not adequately anchored to the take-up spindle, the film does not advance and you end up making 20/24/36 exposures on the first frame (not too useful!) We have all probably done that -- it's why some of us observe the rewind knob to see if it turns when we advance the film!

In your case, it looks as though the film advanced one frame after the first shot, and then stopped. That seems less usual, but still suggests the film disconnected from the take-up, or else there is some other problem/camera malfunction. I'm not familiar with that camera -- some have a wind release button, usually recessed on the bottom plate to disconnect the wind function so you can rewind the film back into the cartridge when the roll is full. I could guess with some cameras accidentally pushing that might stop the winding process, but have no experience. (That must be one of the few mistakes I have not made!)

If this is a camera where the film is advanced electrically, it would be harder to observe what's happening (but could be related to the problem). Do you have a manual for the camera? I would suggest trying some cheap film, following the loading instructions to the letter and see what happens. Some of these things are not easy to diagnose over the web.

Edit: Can't see those negatives very well -- are they each a single exposure or does there appear to be multiples? If they are each a single exposure it might suggest the shutter has suddenly decided not to work. Unfortunately there's a long list of possibilities, some of which vary between cameras. Since many of these cameras are twenty to fifty or sixty years old, there can be just simple mechanical problems with delicate moving parts sticking because of thickened or dirt encrusted lubricants.

Good luck, welcome to APUG, etc.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 08-03-2013 at 02:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Load a dummy roll and while advancing watch the rewind knob/lever. If it does not turn each time you advance the film either it is not loaded properly or the film transport is not working. You can check film transport by opening the back watching the takeup sprocket while advancing the film..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin