Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,724   Online: 775

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone with a Fuji GF670 in Los Angeles?

I'm having trouble getting sharp shots from my GF670 wide open at medium and far distances, and I'd like to figure out if it's my specific camera or if it's just the way the lens is. If possible, and if there's someone else in L.A. with a GF670, I'd love to come to wherever you are and shoot a side-by-side comparison -- one roll of film in mine, one in yours.

Feel free to PM, or email ethan@ethanpines.com.

thanks,
    ethan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming correctly focused and steady shooting (or better on a tripod) the lens on that camera should be tack sharp or at least very sharp at all distances wide open or closed down. If you're sure it's not your technique you best have it checked out by a good tech.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got one in Rio and I've never had an issue with sharpness at any distance or aperture. Quite the contrary.. I'm always impressed at the level of detail.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're sure the lens is fully extended and locked in place?
    Does the distance scale on the lens roughly marry up to the range finder?

I have a very hazy memory of reading somewhere that at f/3.5 the GF670 lens is intended to provide a slight soft image intended for portraits. I can't remember where I read this, but I'm pretty sure I've read that the lens will provide a less 'clinally sharp' image wide open. If it's sharpened up completely by f/5.6, then it may be working as intended.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes -- lens extended and locked, of course. Distance scale does roughly match up to rangefinder. And at closer distances, it's sharp wide open. That's why I'm not sure if I'm somehow having trouble nailing focus at longer distances, or if just the nature of the lens, or if mine's focusing alignment is out of whack. I sent it to Fuji. They say it checks to factory specs, and added this mostly useless reply: "The test shots sent are not a good way to check RF and focus." OK; great. Why not? What's a better way?

I agree -- it should be tack sharp regardless of distance or aperture. Which is why I'm trying to figure out what's going on with mine. I'd like to be able to use it without hesitation.

Anyone with one in Los Angeles?

thanks everyone

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin