Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,668   Online: 940

Shooter
    35mm RF

Yashica Electro 35 GSN shutter doesn't close in AUTO mode

Hello!

I've got a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. Since a few days, I've got a problem with AUTO mode. Using 16 and 11 aperture ring the shutter doesn't close until I press the trigger button for a second time. With bigger aperture values it always works OK.

I've tested it in B mode and Flash mode and it also works OK. Even, I removed the battery and the camera (works permanently at 1/500) and it's OK with all aperture ring values (even 16 and 11).

Anybody knows which could be the problem? Is it possible to repair? It could be the battery? I think that it's old because is the original, from the 80's but I'm not sure that Auto mode uses the battery.

I pressed the battery check button and it shows the white light on counter. Also the exposure lights (orange and red) works correctly.

Thank you very much!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pablosg View Post
    It could be the battery?
    I'd try a new battery and if that does not fix, then clean the cameras battery contacts with a soft cloth, like Tee shirt material.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Great camera. I also have one.

I would check the archives for Yashica repair. I can't remember the repairman's name, but he worked in the Yashica factory. Since the GSN (and other Electro 35's) are battery dependant, it probably isn't the battery. A CLA might be in order.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Naaa always replace the battery before sending your camera for repair...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It may be a well known and general wear problem of these cameras, so called : the "pad of death".

To check : when cocking the shutter, at the beginning of pulling of the film advance lever you should hear a loud "clack" ; if not, you have the pad of death problem.

You can find a lot of explanations and methods for curing this problem yourself, but it may be too expensive to have it repaired professionnaly.

Paul

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Naaa always replace the battery before sending your camera for repair...
    If the battery was the problem it would do this at all apertures..

Sounds like the POD is the problem..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm
    There's so much misinformation about the sound the POD should make. Some say loud "clack"; others say thump. Still others report that they don't get any sound from it. Sound won't tell you anything, because the camera sometimes can work to some extent even if the POD is missing.

If your camera isn't working correctly, the first thing to do is make sure the battery compartment is clean, the battery is at full charge, and the wiring from the battery compartment is sound. The second thing is to check the condition of the POD by taking off the top of the camera and looking at it. If the POD is missing or deteriorated, replace it. Instructions for doing that are at various places on the internet. Finally, if the POD is good, open the bottom of the camera and check the adjustment of the shutter switch rods. There are instructions on the net for doing that, too.

If it still isn't working right, you have a bigger problem than the POD or rod adjustment. Sometimes it's something you might be able to fix yourself, or it might be something you'll have to have done by a qualified repairman such as Mark Hama. Some people say toss the old camera and buy another one from a thrift shop, but unless you get a later GSN/GTN (some of them have better POD material), chances are you're going to get a variation of the same problems.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    yes I understand all that but the simplest step is to try a new battery, that may not cure the problem but doing more first would be bad.

The pod can cause strange effects but not seen this one before.

You need to be practical to do maintenance or ship it of or get a replacement.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin