Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,760   Online: 1194

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it worth it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is no doubt that both cameras can do good stuff, but, in my mind, given you have described yourself as not a rangefinder guy, it doesn't sound like the Leica would have been on your wish list or that it will suit you in the long run. Given that, if I were in your situation I'd only take the Leica if I thought I could sell it for more easier.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm an SLR guy... but enjoy rangefinders for whatever reason.
    The 6x6 Hasselblad is my "high yield" system. As for AF... I make images professionally (100% of my income) and I use an old AIS 105 1.8 Nikkor and a 55mm 2.8 Nikkor for more than 70% of my paying images on AF Nikon Digital bodies. So that should tell you my regard for AF. AF does serve me well for shorter 16-35mm focal lengths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    And if you decide the M3 is the camera for you, you can always get some Voightlander lenses for it if original Leica lenses are too expensive.
    Just the 50mm. and some 35's. I just don't get the 50mm cron prices. Then again, I understand economics, I just can't justify a grand for a "user" lens and 2 grand for a nice slightly used used one.

Especially when an 80mm Zeiss for a Blad is less than $450...
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 08-14-2013 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Like Brian said, it sounds like a good trade based on money, as in the M3 + 50 should be worth more than $900. Assuming of course neither of them needs to go in for repairs.

I say this as an RF shooter though: Not sure you will gain a lot in terms of image quality -- it's probably a step down going from 645 to 35mm. Though there is more to photography than sheer image quality, which is why I shoot 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing I don't understand:

1. You say you MUST sell the Pro TL.
    2. But you are OK trading it for an M3.

Why do you have to sell the second Mamiya? That I do not understand. A back-up body and lenses is invaluable to have.

I love my Leica. And I love my Pentax KX SLR equally. The 'Leica thing' wears off pretty quickly, and it becomes a reliable box that holds film. In the end, it's the pictures that matter. If you think you can make better pictures with the Leica, then go for it. If not, then why not keep what you've already got? You're just making it more complicated with two different formats and cameras. What purpose does it serve?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    One thing I don't understand:

1. You say you MUST sell the Pro TL.
    2. But you are OK trading it for an M3.

Why do you have to sell the second Mamiya? That I do not understand. A back-up body and lenses is invaluable to have.

I love my Leica. And I love my Pentax KX SLR equally. The 'Leica thing' wears off pretty quickly, and it becomes a reliable box that holds film. In the end, it's the pictures that matter. If you think you can make better pictures with the Leica, then go for it. If not, then why not keep what you've already got? You're just making it more complicated with two different formats and cameras. What purpose does it serve?
    I say must cause it will make me feel better =) I have too many cameras and am starting to sell most of them, but I would still like to have a good 35mm system. I dont have a real need for a 2nd 120mm system, I already have a mamiya rb76 and a Rolleiflex 2.8 so instead of having them just sit there I would rather it go to someone that would use it. I guess the real reason im trading it because the trade would benefit me if I would like to flip it if I dont use it as much as I thought since leica's would be easier to sell. the other reason was that while I was deployed I bought tons of 35mm film and its just sitting there and would like a camera that doesn't compromise on quality when it comes to 35mm film. If im not making sense then just punch me in the face and knock some sense into me lol...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The prices for Leica lenses above seem to be a bit out of touch with reality.

Newer Summicrons run above the $1k mark but DR & collapsible are common from $400-$500. Similar prices on bodies too around $500 gets a user, better condition=more$$$
    On the Chicago CL right now there's a 50/2.8 collapsible Elmar with a recent CLA for $350.
    By the same token a Rokkor 40/2 at $700?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wharris View Post
    I say must cause it will make me feel better =) I have too many cameras and am starting to sell most of them, but I would still like to have a good 35mm system. I dont have a real need for a 2nd 120mm system, I already have a mamiya rb76 and a Rolleiflex 2.8 so instead of having them just sit there I would rather it go to someone that would use it. I guess the real reason im trading it because the trade would benefit me if I would like to flip it if I dont use it as much as I thought since leica's would be easier to sell. the other reason was that while I was deployed I bought tons of 35mm film and its just sitting there and would like a camera that doesn't compromise on quality when it comes to 35mm film. If im not making sense then just punch me in the face and knock some sense into me lol...
    Context is everything. Now I understand. I thought your only cameras were the two Mamiyas.
    Sell the ones you don't use. Sounds like you really love the Mamiyas, though. Why sell a camera that you love?

But do what you think is right. Somebody has to burn through that stash of 35.

(Aside: 120 format is not 120mm. It's 60mm wide. Just FYI).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Context is everything. Now I understand. I thought your only cameras were the two Mamiyas.
    Sell the ones you don't use. Sounds like you really love the Mamiyas, though. Why sell a camera that you love?

Well I sold my Leica M lenses could not afford to insure or replace switched to Cosina Voightlander LTM lenses with adapters for M, got 12mm to 90mm. This allows me to use Canon LTM or CV on my Canon Ps or Leica M2s, they are both pro bodies and I have single coated or multi coated option on either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Now i feel dumb lol.. why do they call it 120 film then lol.. and I went for the trade.. I still have my mamiya 645 AF so im good =) heres a few photos that pushed me over the edge on the trade.. nothing special but sharp as hell when it comes to the 50 being wide open =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-237.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	72987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-238.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	72988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-239.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	72989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-243.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	72990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-244.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	72991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-245.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	72992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-246.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	72993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-249.jpg 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	72994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-251.jpg 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	72995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-252.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	72996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-253.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	72997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-254.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	72998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica test roll-834.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	72999

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin