Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,908   Online: 916

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it worth it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

is it worth it?

ok first of all im not really a rangefinder kind of guy, I shoot on my mamiya 645 af and I love it. the problem is that when I bought the 645 AF I know that I would have to sell my mamiya 645 pro TL. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the Pro Tl but its a great camera...I have been offered a M3 with a summicron 50mm/f2 dr should I go for it???? the kit I would be trading is a mamiya 645 pro TL with a 150 F4 and 80 1.9, a waist finder, a metered prism finder, two 120 film backs, a power drive and a manual film winder. I know I could prob get about 900 for the set up. Is this a good trade, I have already shot on the M3 is wants to trade and everything is in working order. any input is welcome! =)
    Im posting a few shots that ive taken with it so far...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica M3 warrior -919.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	448.0 KB 
ID:	72911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica M3 warrior -921.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	504.5 KB 
ID:	72912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica M3 warrior -927.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	72913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica M3 warrior -939.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	72914

www.darkroomportraits.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't have a Leica... yet... but Collectiblend says that a M3 with a lens is about $1000-1100 in good condition.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks, collectiblend looks like what ive been looking for =) love your site BTW great work!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think you should shoot with manual, classic cameras like the Leica and Rolleiflex. Go for it, get rid of the more automatic camera which probably doesn't suit your style as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I think you should shoot with manual, classic cameras like the Leica and Rolleiflex. Go for it, get rid of the more automatic camera which probably doesn't suit your style as well.
    yea I'm on fence about it but not sure how I feel about looking through a rangefinder lol... i guess im not used to it, does it grow on you??? ... and the mamiya af was a killer deal i really bought it more for the faster shutter speeds and the data imprint on the boarders =)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with Bill. In my experience, manual focus always yields better results. I even use manual focus lenses on my digital SLR. I had the choice between a N90s and a FM2n and I chose the manual focus body. Never regretted my decision ever. I do wish I had an autofocus medium format setup just to compare it to my Bronica kit and my Yashica-D, but it seems like my options are too expensive. The Fuji GS645 seems like a good choice, but it's still not cheap.

As for the M3, I'd probably trade my entire collection for a good Leica kit. Unfortunately, things don't work that way. I say go for the trade.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure you don't want the 80mm f/1.9 available for use on your AFD?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Are you sure you don't want the 80mm f/1.9 available for use on your AFD?
    see and you had to say that didnt you lol... I do love that lens but I can always dig up a few cameras that ive collected to buy another, but man its a sweet lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hard to give you advice on this one -- an M3 and 50mm and that 645 you are talking about are apples and bananas, at least as far as I know.

What do you like to shoot with? A rangefinder requires you to mentally visualize the depth of field effects and might nudge you towards smaller f-stops to be safe, whereas an slr lets you see the depth of field.

And so on. I use an m3 a lot, and also a Leica SLR (several models). Each has pluses and minuses for different jobs. I tend to not like automatic on my cameras -- I find myself having to out-think it and work around it too many times.

Buy what you will use and like. Buy what gives you what you want. Only you know the answer to those things.

Those test shots with the m3 are stunning, by the way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wharris View Post
    yea I'm on fence about it but not sure how I feel about looking through a rangefinder lol... i guess im not used to it, does it grow on you??? ... and the mamiya af was a killer deal i really bought it more for the faster shutter speeds and the data imprint on the boarders =)
    I predominantly used SLR for many years then found Rangefinders worked well for me. Pretty soon you "see" what the camera sees no matter what kind of camera it is.

Fortunately the Leica Rangefinder is the clearest and easiest to snap onto focus of all. And with Parallax correction, you don't cut people's heads off. It's not exact framing for critical compositions like lining up a cross through a picket fence. But not many compositions require that kind of precision. Then an SLR or View Camera is better suited.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin