Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,076   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It is,a super wide angle lens John,but it produces rectilinear rather than cylindrical perspective images of a fisheye lens.
    Either of the Cosina Voighlander 12 or 16 give similar images to the Hologon, you can by both and get change and you get iris diaphragms as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The G21 is among the finest wides ever for 35mm film.

The 16 is crazy wide, so wide that one (read I) often gets their fingers in the frame just by holding the camera. Tripod legs are hard to avoid too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    no read everyone the original Hologon came with a pistol grip to avoid the pink airship spoiling shots.

CV wides come with or have options for lens hoods and are available in LTM or M.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, BTW - I just checked and the 16mm Hologon G for the G-series cameras is available on Ebay for under $2K- multiple copies are listed in that price range. The north of $2K prices are folks being greedy hoping some sucker will come along and either be desperate and NEED one on a day they're the only one listed or be stupid and think, "well, if it's $4K, it must be better than the $2K versions for some undefinable reason".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So value wise, should I try to find a Contax G w/21 (which is plenty wide enough), or go for the Voigtlander and similar glass?
    Seems one can pick up a Bessa L in decent shape for not much. OR, should I just stick with my Yashica GSN
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are some cool images to inspire the use of any of the discussed lenses in this thread:

http://www.antsmagazine.com/photogra...ning-examples/
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

This was shot with the G 21mm on a G2, wide open at f2.8. The film was Ektar 100. Some of the darkening at the periphery is from the extreme lighting conditions. I don't have posted here (at least not anymore) another shot I took with the 21, handheld, inside the plaster model workshop in the basement of La Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona. That was 1 second at f2.8, and you can barely notice any vignetting. The 16mm is much more pronounced in the falloff to the edges.

Another reason for using the G2 as opposed to a Bessa - the G2 has a top shutter speed of 1/6000, so you can pull off shots like the one I posted. Not gonna happen with a camera whose top speed is 1/1000th or 1/2000th at best, especially if you're using films faster than ISO 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at the optical formula of the Hologon; imagine trying to grind glass like that cheaply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin