Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Does a Yashica MG have a "pad of death" issue as do the Yashica Electro rangefinders? If so, this is a major issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Does a Yashica MG have a "pad of death" issue as do the Yashica Electro rangefinders? If so, this is a major issue.
    Don't know about the "pad of death", please explain?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtO View Post
    Don't know about the "pad of death", please explain?
    The easy way to explain the "POD" is here: http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/repair.html#nine Its not that hard of a repair. I like the MG-1 due to the fact the light meter is located in the lens, so when using filters I do not have to do the math in my head.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the above threads and useful information. Re a battery for the MG 1, I have already bought a battery adapter for my Yashica Electro 35, so I am hoping that the same adapter will fit an MG 1, should I buy that model (MG 1).
    Pad of Death. Best thing is to Google that and you will get a better explanation, together with photos. Briefly there is a small piece of rubber inside the Yashica RFs, and it perishes with age. Once that happens the camera does not function, although I believe the shutter will still fire at 1/500 sec. Therefore use an exposure meter and find the appropriate aperture for that speed.
    Does the MG 1 suffer from POD ? The MG 1 was one of Yashica's last RF models. Somewhere on the web it was proclaimed that Yashica had tackled the POD problem in their later models. I believe that is completely UNTRUE, because I have found references to owners with MG 1s having suffered the same problem, and details are on 1-2 websites.
    Supposedly when a Yash RF is working correctly, after firing the shutter, then when film is wound on, there should be a thump/clunk. If that noise is not present then the camera has POD. HOWEVER, and many in here will be familiar with Yashica Guy, who is a renowned expert on Yashicas, he states that when the thump/cluck appears that is when POD is starting, or has started. You can find that comment on his pages relevant to the Yash. RFs.
    The Electro 35 I have just bought has no such noise. It is very smooth, and lights and apertures are working correctly. I hope to have my first film used in it returned by next week, so I should find out if it is OK.
    So if anyone else can add to all that has been posted so far, it will be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    one90guy, You beat me to the punch with reference to Yashica Guy. I should not have been so long-winded with my above thread. !! But the link you have posted will be of use to many.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by pityacka; 08-17-2013 at 08:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mis-spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just read the "Pad of death" stuff. Interesting info. Hope it's something that I won't have to deal with. Thanks for the links and info everyone. Looking forward to some time playing with this neat camera.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pityacka View Post
    one90guy, You beat me to the punch with reference to Yashica Guy. I should not have been so long-winded with my above thread. !! But the link you have posted will be of use to many.
    Thanks.
    Fastest keyboard in the west

David
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got my MG1 last week, and it is in exceptional condition. It is working correctly and not suffering from the POD. It has that little clunk when winding on, which the Yashica Electro 35 which I bought before the MG1, does not have. I now realise what a Yashica should sound like when working correctly.
    But having said that, although the 35 winds on smoothly, and suggests POD problem, my first film through shows possible light leak on some shots; together with possible lens flare in other shots; yet a lot of the shots have come out perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its great to get one out of the box that is in working condition, I have been using a Lynx 5000e, which I feel is another great camera. Sadly my MG-1 is still in pieces on the work bench. It has been so hot and my darkroom/workbench has a separate a/c unit and trying to keep the elect bill manageable is tough. I have just made a habit of changing light seals, the hardest part is getting the gunk in there out. I am also lucky to be in the same state as Jon Goodman, his seal kits make the job really easy. And my only connection to Jon is a happy customer.

David
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format

And other makes of Rangefinders.

Received the first film back which was exposed in the Yashica Electro 35, and it looks like I have a light leak at the hinge/door area.
    But going off on a tangent from the Yashicas - do other makes of RFs have similar problems with a particular defect solely related to that make ? I am not referring to light seal problems, as all cameras have that problem. Yashicas have the POD. Is there anything to look out for in Minoltas, Ricoh, Konica, Petri, etc. ?
    I am not going to mention Canon and Nikon RFs, - their prices are increasing quite a bit here in the UK. In fact, prices on ebay for the likes of Yashicas are beginning to rise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin