Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,133   Online: 1144

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica MG 1. Want quick answers only.

In the last week I have bought a Yashica 35 rangefinder. As a result of handling that, I have now bought a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 RF. What beauties they are, even comparing them with classic 35 slrs which I have.
    Right the next question is about the Yashica MG 1 - I have the chance to acquire one, and the one I have seen looks absolutely beautiful, immaculate, etc. etc. Is it one to buy ?
    Never owned a RF but 'researching' on the web I am astounded by the sharpness of photos produced by RFs, either prints or slides.
    Keep it brief lads, Yes or No re the MG 1.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I'd skip it, 45/2.8...why use such a large camera with a slow lens? Canonet 28 would give you a much more compact body and same lens speed, Canonet QL17 would give you both more compact body and faster lens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one. Quite large, sharp lens, good viewfinder, not much tactile feedback from it's longish shutter release, batteries no longer available but you can easily overcome this by stacking several (4?) standard 1,5v button cells together with a sellotape, a small copper coin and a spring from a ballpoint pen. Easy to open and repair if something doesn't work as it should - here the largish body comes in handy as the inside isn't cramped. I like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks both, I realise the MG 1 only has the 2.8f lens, but it still gets rave reviews. The Yashica I have already has the 1.7f lens. Also I am aware of the battery 'problem' due to original type of battery no longer being produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should also add that I got my MG-1 in a rather poor condition with bend filter thread but ther RF was still accurate which says something about its durability. One thing I should mention is that the knob for film speed adjustment can be moved accidentally while setting the aperture ring quite easily, so you should use some sellotape there as well
    I have taken one of the two favorite photos of mine with the MG-1!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I should also add that I got my MG-1 in a rather poor condition with bend filter thread but ther RF was still accurate which says something about its durability. One thing I should mention is that the knob for film speed adjustment can be moved accidentally while setting the aperture ring quite easily, so you should use some sellotape there as well
    I have taken one of the two favorite photos of mine with the MG-1!
    I would go with the Petri 7s with a 1.8 lens. Get one if you can find one in good condition. It's fully manual and has a batteryless selenium meter so you don't have to worry about batteries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your valued comments. I had a look at Petris on ebay yesterday. One thing I do notice is that the price of RFs appears to be creeping upwards. A lot of dealers are asking £40+ for Yashicas, Minoltas, etc. Private sellers do not seem to be as high, and a lot of those do not know how the RF works, and do not have a battery for them, so they are sold as untested.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Battery? ? ? ?

What for? I use sunny 16 with my Minolta 7s, and kodak retina 1a.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccl@yahoo.com View Post
    What for? I use sunny 16 with my Minolta 7s, and kodak retina 1a.

Ah but you must know the shutter speed of the MG-1 to make this all work.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A PX-28 battery will work with the MG-1 with the proper adapter. It's a good camera, of course I'm a little biased, the MG-1 was the first 35mm camera I bought. You can order the adapter from
    www.yashicaddiction.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin