Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,104   Online: 1241

Thread: Leica CL

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica CL

I just got this camera. Have'nt used it yet, but I'm curious about opinions of people that have hat it and used it. Many thanks
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm

Leica CL

I have not actually used one of these but have used the Minolta clone. They are small too small for my largish hands to manage comfortably but the results I had off the couple of films I put through the Minolta were superb. The biggest drawback but surmountable with these little gems is the mercury Battery requirement. Have a look at this website for an adapter to enable the use of a conventional 1.5v silver cell as a replacement.

www.smallbattery.company.org.uk

They are not cheap but unlike the common Weincell replacements they will last quite a long time once placed in the camera. I use one in a NikkormatFTN and after 2 years it is still working well and comparing it with a hand held light meter the accuracy is good.

You can use the Minolta lenses (28mm, 40mm and 90mm) as a direct replacement for genuine Leitz optics. I doubt if you would be able to tell the difference. They are not common but do appear occasionally for sale.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 08-25-2013 at 09:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks BMbikerider. What about the PX625 as a replacement?
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    It has to be 1.35v to operate the meter. There are a quite a few adapters listed on the website to conver silver cells to the correct voltage, I am sure the PX625 equivalent is listed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used z/a 625 hearing aid batts in mine. Worked good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got the Leitz Minolta version, and I love this camera. I have average hands and it feels fine with me. I find it easier to use than the M series, but then I've been known to favor the smaller screw mount Leicas anyway. I use the hearing aid batteries too, and like that the meter is a little like a spot meter. Fun camera to use, that gives very sharp pictures. Have fun with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the difference between the 1.5 and 1.35 cell is not major -- I used my CL for years before it was adjusted and didn't notice much difference. The meter is a spot meter, I have always considered meters to be advisory anyway, so either way works for me.

Overall the CL is my favorite travel camera -- light, quick, precise, works without a battery, can use a wide range of lenses -- I use a voitgtlander 15mm on mine, a canon 25, the 40 it came with, a 50 and a 90. The whole kit is small and light, too. My original finally wore out (tooth gear drive broke/wore) and I replaced the whole camera with hardly a second thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicago_0024.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	73463

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My CL has been a traveling companion par excellence for many many years, light, robust and a superb image maker with it's 40mm summicron. It has survived extremes and wears it scars proudly. Even on the street it is unobtrusive and an ideal shooter. I seldom use the light meter so the battery issue is not a problem.

Therefore I would not hesitate to recommend it and wish you much satisfaction with yours.
    Last edited by Bateleur; 08-28-2013 at 02:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had two at different times. Great little camera, with a distinctive, soft clop shutter sound. I have used both the Summicron-C 40 and M-Rokkor 40 - both are great lenses. The Rokkor 90 is good, too.

Ultimately I sold them both because I like 50mm and while the CL has 50mm frame lines, they were too close to the 40mm lines for me. 90mm lines were also too small (I'm used to the M3.) I used to stick a 35mm lens on it and use the whole viewfinder, which worked well. Also the camera is black, and I was paranoid about scratches and paint coming off (a personal thing.)

A great camera, though.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recall hearing a rumour that Leica discontinued the CL, because it was becoming so popular at the time, it was hitting sales of their M series cameras!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin