Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,070   Online: 947

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Do you mean mint -- as in never used? Or mint as in excellent condition? There is a difference.

By the way, I would be cautious about using a camera that has never been used. For a body, I would expect you to pay at least $1,000 from a dealer, possibly a bit less through private sale. For that kind of money, it's probably best to buy through a reputable source, or at least from someone that is trusted -- whether it be eBay, an Internet forum or someone at work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got a phenomenal deal from a friend/fellow Ape Hugger, with $1000 for a VG M6 (not TTL) body only. From what I've seen you'd be looking at more than that, up to about $1500.

It's a great camera, and I picked mine up with the idea of it being something I'd own and use for decades. "If I could only have one...", sort of idea.

A side idea: you might want to look for an M4, M4-P/2, as the body is very similar to an M6 -- only minus the built-in exposure meter. I either eyeball my exposure or else use a small handheld meter....something to consider.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a perfect search, but this is recently sold on ebay. A wide spread in prices for M6 bodies. Lowest price ones seem to have issues, looks like the $1200-1300 range is where they are these days. Repairs on these are not cheap, so a $800 bargain may take another $400 to fix. I'd contact some of the repair folks and get some idea of current repair costs before heading for the lowest price I could find.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might look up KEH. BGN is over $1,000.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    M leicas have all been a vastly better investment than the R Leicas. An R4 sold new for nearly $2,000 and can now be had for $200 or so.

Leica M bodies hold value very well, relatively speaking. Certainly far better than anything else around, especially including digital cameras which have a rapid obscolescent technology depreciation factor.

Spend $1,000 on an M6 now, use it for five years, sell it for $1,000 if you take good care of it. I'd like to see any other camera on the market today do that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Do you mean "a fair price" for the buyer, or the seller ?.
    If they can sleep at night then it will be fair for both, whatever the number.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Can somebody tell me why Leicaflex SL's are so much cheaper used than the rangefinder types? The rangefinder prices are nothing less than absurd.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There aren't many high end rangefinder options out there. The market is flooded with several brands of fantastic SLR options - and plenty of bodies of each option.

I haven't handled a Leica SLR but my understanding is that the bodies are similar to other brands (or modifications/rebrandings of other bodies) while the lenses are still top shelf. As a result, the lens price is still high relative to the bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Can somebody tell me why Leicaflex SL's are so much cheaper used than the rangefinder types? The rangefinder prices are nothing less than absurd.

actually, the SL models are more pricy than the later R varieties of leica slr -- the SL2, especially, is a tank, a wonderful user, the peak of SLR construction from Leica.

That said, they're still cheaper than the M leicas because the M series are pretty much unique these days in that they are still very usable, still supported, still have jobs that only they can do (quiet and precise) and are just really wonderful cameras to hold and use. Even the Leicaflex SL2 can't say that.

compared to what a cheap Digital SLR costs these days, what you pay for a Leica M series -- $700 to $2,000 -- is a relative bargain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin