Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,935   Online: 950

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    here in Germany you pay from about 900 € = 1100 $ to about 1200 € = 1500 $ for a M 6 0.72 body in very good condition if you buy it from a dealer with warranty. Of course special versions and editions are collectibles. M 6 0.85's are seldom and more expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    here in Germany you pay from about 900 € = 1100 $ to about 1200 € = 1500 $ for a M 6 0.72 body in very good condition if you buy it from a dealer with warranty. Of course special versions and editions are collectibles. M 6 0.85's are seldom and more expensive.
    Thanks for the rundown.

0.72, 0.85's...What does this mean?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Do you mean mint -- as in never used? Or mint as in excellent condition? There is a difference.

By the way, I would be cautious about using a camera that has never been used. For a body, I would expect you to pay at least $1,000 from a dealer, possibly a bit less through private sale. For that kind of money, it's probably best to buy through a reputable source, or at least from someone that is trusted -- whether it be eBay, an Internet forum or someone at work

I would want something super clean and not much signs of use.

I read how Hasselblad is halting support for one of its digital backs afetr 6 years. Do you think Leica will contiue to support these older cameras?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3D View Post
    That is an interesting site. Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    there are versions of the M 6 with different viewfinder magnifications. The standard is 0.72 x and has frames for 28, 35, 50, 75, 90 and 135 mm, the 0.85 has a stronger magnification which is better suited for tele lenses and has no frame for 28 mm. In the following series also a 0,58 x magnification was introduced which is better for wide angles and not for tele lenses. The first M 3 had 0.92 x which was the most exact rangefinder, especially for 135 mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    there are versions of the M 6 with different viewfinder magnifications. The standard is 0.72 x and has frames for 28, 35, 50, 75, 90 and 135 mm, the 0.85 has a stronger magnification which is better suited for tele lenses and has no frame for 28 mm. In the following series also a 0,58 x magnification was introduced which is better for wide angles and not for tele lenses. The first M 3 had 0.92 x which was the most exact rangefinder, especially for 135 mm.

Thanks! I had no idea there were so many options.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bought a M7 new in 2003 instead of a M6 because of the features. I'm very happy with it and won't sell it in any years in time.
    I also bought an old & battered, but technically perfect, Leica M4-2 (all mechanical, no electronics). I like the M4-2 better than the M4, and would prefer the M4-P even more (but was too expensive for me).

The M6 and M7 are both legendary rangefinders. Major difference: M6 is all-manual exposure, M7 has also aperture-priority.
    The M6 is all mechanical (= no batteries) and the M6-TTL and the M7 need batteries.
    If money is an factor, get a nice M6 and spent the rest of your money on good glass. Also a technical perfect camera with cosmetic flaws is much cheaper and easier to use without the fear for scratches .....

I also bought the Leica M motorwind (new type) for my M7. It's great and gives even a better grip to the camera.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Julia-Roberts-with-Leica-M6-TTL-Silver-with-Summicron-50mm-f2-and-Leica-Motor-M-650x365.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	73715

Here are some sites that might be helpful deciding what you need/want:

http://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm - (Leica M buying info)

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Mf55 and http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00a3cm - (users compare M7 with M6)

BTW: the Leica SL (or SL2) with older Leica-R lenses are also very good, but a lot cheaper!!
    Also build like a tank, very nice contrast in B&W and a real "clunk" when fired.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Thanks for the rundown.

0.72, 0.85's...What does this mean?
    It is already answered, but let me add:

Before you will buy a body - ask yourself which lens you want? This is crucial. Also ask yourself can you live without build in light meter.
    If you want 135mm - then go for M3 or M6 with 0.85. If you want 50mm then any body is good, M3 is the best. 35mm lens - go for M6 with 0.72 ... and so on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid just under $2000 for my M6TTL (.85) new in 1999 and just under $1000 for a new 50mm f2 Summicron at the same time. The camera only needs a battery for the light meter and to fire the flash. It does not power the flash, just operates the flash circuit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica SLR's were relatively heavy and had a limited range of accessories.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin