Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,815   Online: 994

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What is a fair price to pay for a mint M6 Leica?

I read M6's can be bought for less than $1000. But when I looked at some of the big camera webstores, I don't see anything in that price range.

What is a fair price to pay for a mint M6 Leica?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you really and truely want one, then whatever price is asked.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To get a better idea about current prices on a used M6 search on the big auction site for completed listings. Enough M6 camera are sold so that you could get a good idea fairly quick.

You will not find a mint condition M6 for 1k or bellow unless you are real lucky. $1,400 i think is a more realistic price.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, thanks.

Does anyone know what the M6 sold for when new? Just wondering how they hold their value?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When they came out I think they were under $900!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I paid $1299 (plus 5 per cent GST) for one of my M6 bodies (listed by the seller as "mint -") in 2009. I would consider it mint - the body had no markings that I could see. The body came with all its original packaging (including the external silver box, the red velvet display case ((are there actually people who keep their Leicas in these things?!?1)) and all the original Leica paperwork including a warranty card and something called "Leica passport"(?). In retrospect, I probably got a deal of sorts: prices seem to have stayed in the $1200-$1500 region for the past several years (in North America at any rate). FWIW: I wouldn't quibble over a few hundred dollars; you will be making a purchase that will likely last your lifetime.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Run through an inflation calculator, $900 in 1984 is about $2,000 in 2013.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you mean "a fair price" for the buyer, or the seller ?.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    When they came out I think they were under $900!
    Wow, they were a good investment. Shoot all you want and make money when you sell!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Does anyone know what the M6 sold for when new? Just wondering how they hold their value?
    Twenty years ago they sold for about $2000 new. Take inflation into account too, and from a financial perspective, a new M6 turned out to be a spectacularly bad investment.

As an investment in photographic enjoyment - well, that's a different story. And at today's prices for clean M6 bodies, that measure of ROI is better than it's ever been.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin