Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,020   Online: 687

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Nobody ever successfully photographed those other things with SLRs? And how often do you do that anyway?

I still say "time parallax" is mostly bs.
    At one time I shot many rolls of film at motorcross events. Much easier with a rangefinder.

The question is how far will your subject travel during the delay. Even a millisecond can be significant.

The word of the day is INERTIA. Camera designers do as much as they can to reduce it as they can.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-08-2013 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Could we stop the "who shoots the fastest" contest (since Lucky Luke always wins) and get back to the OP original question?
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Left foot up

Taken with a SLR camera
    Print scan

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Left foot up
    Taken with a SLR camera
    Print scan
    That left foot is indeed the first thing my eyes are drawn to.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Could we stop the "who shoots the fastest" contest (since Lucky Luke always wins) and get back to the OP original question?
    Its not a contest, you are missing the point. We ARE discussing how appropriate each type of camera is for a particular situation which was the topic of the OP. If you are going to take photos of fastly moving subjects then time parallax IS important.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gerald, I have never seen a working pro shooting sports with a Leica/Bessa. The best success rate with fastly moving subjects is generally achievable with a camera that can shoot many frames per second and is able to AF. Even die-hard Leica users of the time had a Nikon with a long lens ready for such occasions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, the reason rangefinders are advantageous when shooting moving subjects is that the viewfinders usually allow the photographer to see movement outside of the field of view of the lens - they help you anticipate the right moment.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sports "use case" is complicated by the fact that RFs don't work that well with long lenses. If you had a sports situation that you could shoot comfortably with a 90mm lens, then you could make an apples-to-apples comparison between RF and SLR systems---but how often does that happen?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The sports "use case" is complicated by the fact that RFs don't work that well with long lenses. If you had a sports situation that you could shoot comfortably with a 90mm lens, then you could make an apples-to-apples comparison between RF and SLR systems---but how often does that happen?

-NT
    Then there is the problem with camera shake and depth of field with long SLR lenses. Given a choice between using a telephoto and getting closer to the subject most people would choose getting closer. It's all a trade off.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-08-2013 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    IMHO, the reason rangefinders are advantageous when shooting moving subjects is that the viewfinders usually allow the photographer to see movement outside of the field of view of the lens - they help you anticipate the right moment.
    Right. No matter what camera you're using, you're still at the mercy of your finger. And the finger is going to introduce a delay that's quite a bit bigger than the shutter lag of the camera--around 2-4 tenths of a second. I'd be very surprised if you could control the timing of that motion to within 20 milliseconds. So time parallax is still bs.

And it isn't about what camera is faster--in fact, the point is that in most cases, it doesn't matter. Most pro-grade cameras, at least, are faster than you are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin